New Baja recall

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

nimble88
Scoobytruck Lurker

New Baja recall

Post by nimble88 »

Baja recall: I just stumbled across the news that there is a recall on 2005-2006 Bajas concerning the pressure side of the fuel line. You can find it at NHTSA number EA09007

The recall will not go out from dealers until September or October.

I was searching for information on Subaru key fobs as I have had two die in the 3 years I've had the Baja. The dealer gave me one "free" replacement but I don't want to pay for the new one if there are known manufacturing problems.

I've dropped by the board from time to time but never wanted to register until I saw this info that some of you will want to know about. Like any well run enthusiest board, the information available here is priceless.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: New Baja recall

Post by jaxed »

Thanks for this info!
andylyco
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by andylyco »

Full recall info:

Make: SUBARU Model: BAJA
Model Year: 2005
Manufacturer: SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date: JUL 16, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V277000
EA09007
NHTSA Action Number: EA09007
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Potential Number of Units Affected: 15633
Summary:
SUBARU IS RECALLING 15,633 MY 2005-2006 BAJA VEHICLES. CRACKS MAY DEVELOP IN THE FUEL HOSE CONNECTION ON THE OUTLET PRESSURE SIDE OF THE FUEL PUMP.
Consequence:
FUEL CAN LEAK FROM THE HOSE CONNECTION. A FUEL LEAK, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP BRACKET INCLUDING ALL NIPPLES WITH A NEW AND STRONGER DESIGN PART. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING SEPTEMBER 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-800-782-2783.
Notes:
SUBARU RECALL NO. WVJ-20. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
'04 Baja T 5MT, '09 Sportwagen TDI, '93 Corrado
bajablacksheep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajablacksheep »

Thanks for the heads up. We just bought an '05 turbo with 32000mi. But now you've got me wondering...have there been any other recalls that I should know about? Thanks for any info.
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

I called Subaru of North America about this recall and my 05 Turbo, and they told me mine is not affected by this recall.
sc00ter
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by sc00ter »

I called Subaru also and was told they have no recall notice out for a 05 Baja?!?! The funny thing is I swear I smell gas when Im behind the Baja with the scooter, so now Im obviously worried. Im gonna check with our local dealership and see what they say. Will post my results when I get some.
Sixtwo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Sixtwo »

I just got my notice in the mail this week about the fuel system recall...I have an '05 Baja Turbo...I will be looking into it at my local dealer in Livermore, CA.
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

I am kinda peeved...I called Subaru and they told me I am not affected and yesterday I get a letter saying I am....this sucks.
beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by beancountertx »

I too received a recall letter and E-mail this week on my 2005. Took them long enough. Have an appointment this Saturday to have it fixed. Haven't had problems with this recall issue. Guess that's O.K.
You must be the change you want to see in the world.-Gandhi
beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by beancountertx »

Had the recall sericed on Saturday 10/31/09 but car still smells of gas. Should I be worried? Odor is not pungent but exists still the same. have to ride with back windows down. Does anyone know if they had to go through rear seat to get to part for replacement?
You must be the change you want to see in the world.-Gandhi
Sixtwo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Sixtwo »

Mine's all taken care of...no issues to worry about...local dealer had me in and out in about 90 minutes...
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

No issues here either. I had it done along with my 48,750 service and it took maybe 1.5 hrs altogether. Bit of advice: run down the fuel a bit before you take it in. They prefer at least down to 1/2 tank, because they have to remove the tank and if it's full they might have to drain some first.

Or so I was advised. :-)
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I had an appointment set w/the local Subaru dealer for first of last week. Showed up Monday AM just to try to re-schedule for Tuesday (they don't have a shuttle service). Showed up Tuesday AM and they said they hadn't received the parts from Subaru for the Bajas, and that Subaru was having trouble locating them/any. Didn't appreciate the no-call, no-inform situation, but I'll call them again tomorrow about it.

Anyone else having to wait for parts?
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

bulwnkl wrote:I had an appointment set w/the local Subaru dealer for first of last week. Showed up Monday AM just to try to re-schedule for Tuesday (they don't have a shuttle service). Showed up Tuesday AM and they said they hadn't received the parts from Subaru for the Bajas, and that Subaru was having trouble locating them/any. Didn't appreciate the no-call, no-inform situation, but I'll call them again tomorrow about it.

I haven't scheduled yet....I keep having to drive and all that stuff and last week, when I had a chance, I had a full tank of gas, so not so conducive. I hope to aim for dropping it off at them for weekend after next, but we'll see. I have my spare car to drive while they have it if they have to wait( having it sit on THEIR lot taking up their space is a motivator)!
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

bulwnkl wrote:I had an appointment set w/the local Subaru dealer for first of last week. Showed up Monday AM just to try to re-schedule for Tuesday (they don't have a shuttle service). Showed up Tuesday AM and they said they hadn't received the parts from Subaru for the Bajas, and that Subaru was having trouble locating them/any. Didn't appreciate the no-call, no-inform situation, but I'll call them again tomorrow about it.

I haven't scheduled yet....I keep having to drive and all that stuff and last week, when I had a chance, I had a full tank of gas, so not so conducive. I hope to aim for dropping it off at them for weekend after next, but we'll see. I have my spare car to drive while they have it if they have to wait( having it sit on THEIR lot taking up their space is a motivator)!