Throttle hesitation - 2006 Turbo -

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Throttle hesitation - 2006 Turbo -

Post by RickBaja06 »

My throttle has been acting up lately. Ever since I owned the car there has been a slight hesitation when the throttle was applied especially when cold. It's 77F outside and today the car acted like it was -20F. When applying the throttle gently the car acts normal, but if you need to merge into traffic and quickly apply the throttle I get a 2 second hesitation and then all hell brakes loose. It feels like the computer and wireless throttle are having a long chat and can't agree when to go.

Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to fix it.

The car has 57K miles and is dealer serviced. Driving style is 90% highway and fuel system cleaner has been used on a 6K miles bases.
eblanks
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Throttle hesitation - 2006 Turbo -

Post by eblanks »

I haven't had this trouble, since I bought my '05 Baja turbo a couple of days ago. But I put my Baja in first gear and the throttle dosen't realy hit till it gets above 2500 rpm (I think this might be where its powerband is) where the turbo kicks in. I know Subrau wants us to put 91 octane gas in it so maybe your Baja needs a higher octane gas.

I don't want to abuse this car since I know it only a 4 banger with heart so I don't want to give it a heart attack by hitting it too much although the temptation is always there.

Dose anyone know if we put 87 octane in the tank and some octane booster would that work for the octane requirement (I haven't run the numbers on buying a booster bottle and gas).

eblanks
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RickBaja06 »

I always run 93 octaine and the turbo boost is fine. It's at full boost 11psi by 3200 rpm. It's the initial dead start that there is a problem. It would appear to me that the car is not shifting down to 1st gear at 5mph or lower. It requires a dead stop for the computer to realize that full throttle is needed and 1st gear is locked. If I manually shift from 1st up to 4th and shift at 3200 rpm there is no problem. same with downshifting. Keep in mind the car is an automatic.
eblanks
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by eblanks »

Oh Wow,

I'm sorry, I have a manual 5-speed so I don't know if I'll get this trouble. I can't find the throttle on the engine and I read that the throttle is electronically controlled. I've never seen this set up, is there anyway for me to rev the engine from the engine compartment?

eblanks
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RickBaja06 »

I finally got a check engine light to come on. Went to the dealer and the issue was my air/fuel sensor. It's covered under my 100K warrenty and parts are on order.
eblanks
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by eblanks »

Hi,

I'm glad you have a resolution to your issue. I'm noticing a shake when my transmission is in neutral. Any ideas?

eblanks
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

eblanks wrote:Hi,

I'm noticing a shake when my transmission is in neutral. Any ideas?

eblanks
a shake of the stick shift? a shake of the dashboard? a shake of the motor? a shake of the tach?

how many RPM's are you sitting at at idle and is the A/C on at the time?
eblanks
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by eblanks »

Thanks for replying :D ,

Its my engine. I feel it shaking when I'm sitting at a red light or warming it up in the garrage. It idles @ 750rpm and the air can be on or off.

Also, since it has 100k/miles on it and I bought it used I'm going to change the timing belt, Thursday. Should I change the water pump also :?:

Thank You,

eblanks
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

750rpms is what my 05 M/T Turbo idles at and I have 51K on the clock...completely normal...the vibration you are feeling is due to the amount of reciprocating mass that is moving left and right in the 180 degree flat boxer style motor which is a much more dramatic feel to that happening than you would in say a traditional 90 degree angle V6/V8.

wouldn't be a bad thing to change the timing belt for at least to give you your own baseline for maintenance intervals of what you need or have done. I just recently had the plugs done as I couldn't do them ( because I didn't know the trick to raising up the motor to get the heads to clear the frame rails for to pop out the coil packs and gain access to perform the task)...as far as the water pump, I am not sure and someone else might be able to answer that, but I'd do it if you are right there while doing the belt for sure....I think it is also crucial to state that doing the regular things like coolant and brake flushes every 20K will help sustain the longevity of your vehicle as well.
eblanks
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by eblanks »

Thanks,

If the price is right then I'll do the water pump also :wink: . I'm waiting for subrau to call me back. Does anyone know if the waterpump typically goes bad after 100k/miles?

Thank You,

eblanks
sbradley
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sbradley »

I also have a 2006 Turbo, an A/T.
I get hesitation when you hit the throttle hard off idle. Fine under all other conditions.
Just got the 60K service and they updated the ECU with the latest software, hesitation is still there.
Aftermarket software would probably fix it, but mine is certified used and I don't want to invalidate the warranty.
I can get around it by revving the engine against the brake but that is probably not the greatest thing for the tranny.
So I am most likely stuck with it. I am guessing that with a M/T this wouldn't even be an issue.