Check engine light came on...

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Top1usa
Scoobytruck Lurker

Check engine light came on...

Post by Top1usa »

Like to know anyone out there can inform me what's going on with my Baja....

My engine light came on yesterday and at the same time the crusie control light(on the button) were flashing....slowly!

And the funniest thing...both lights stopped blinking!!! WTF is going with my Baja??? Please advise....
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Check engine light came on...

Post by Sabber »

huh...apparently this has happened to a good number of people with foresters and outbacks, so it makes sense that it could also happen to a baja. Here are three threads I found, the NASIOC one seems to be the most helpful to me;

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410771
http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/subaru ... KB1OEN1UTQ
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct ... f155bf6/12

seems like it is most likely just a sensor error rather than any major problem, most people report going to the dealership, having some thing or the other fixed and have it come right back on. Check to make sure you gas cap is screwed on tight, this can cause the check engine light to go on if it's not. My check engine light actually came on as I was driving my baja away from the dealership, called the local subaru dealership and he said that if its not blinking it's not a major emergency and not to worry about unless it stays on for a few days. It went off on mine the next day, so I didnt worry about it. However I am by no means any kind of mechanic so I could be way off on all of this.
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

Mine came on with similar behavior - no flashing of the CEL, but the cruise light blinked, and the cruise control itself was disabled. This coincided with a power loss, seemed to be equivalent to what would occur if my turbo was no longer installed. The power came back after a trip or two, but the CEL did not go out.

Trip to the dealership disclosed a faulty tumble generator, which apparently is a device in the intake which creates turbulence when the engine is cold, for emissions purposes. Ended up costing me $300+ to replace. Usually it's my understanding that a check engine light is usually a problem with an emissions component - but like someone said earlier, if it's blinking, don't mess around with it.

-Mike
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

tumble generator eh? thats a new one....
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RickBaja06 »

I just finished living with this issues.

When the check engine light comes on Solid on your dash cluster with a blinking cruise control light. That is the computer sensing an error code which then turns off your cruise control. That is the reason for the blinking cruise light.

The reason for the code could be many things, in many cases it is a loose gas cap. in my case I had an issue with my air/fuel sensor.

Thanks
Rick
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

YBajaSteve wrote:tumble generator eh? thats a new one....
Heh, I know, right? The service writer didn't even really know what it was. I Googled it, and it looks like it's pretty much just a Subaru thing. :-)