#2 Cooling fan stuck on

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

cparman
Scoobytruck Lurker

#2 Cooling fan stuck on

Post by cparman »

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 05 Turbo 5 speed. I love the truck.

I have found that the #2 cooling fan runs all the time. I found a service bulletin (WVB-12) specific to 05 turbo M/T Legacy/Outbacks that says a bad fan relay fries the ECU and causes this problem. Of couse the bulletin covers every turbo 5-speed except the Baja.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so did SOA cover he cost?

Thanks,

Craig
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Re: #2 Cooling fan stuck on

Post by Hawk296 »

I had the same problem on my 05 turbo 5 speed. ECU was replaced under warranty. The dealer said that my car was the second Baja turbo to have this problem that they had seen. Seeing as there are not many bajas in this area, I would say it's a known problem.
andylyco
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by andylyco »

We bought an '04 Baja T last weekend and last night I noticed that the 2nd fan (passenger side) turns on as soon as you put the key in the "on" position. Are we doomed? Have any Baja owners had success replacing just the fan relay? Based on the myriad threads on the LegacyGT forums, this is an absolute nightmare scenario- fan relay goes bad, taking the ECU with it... Any ideas? (our AC is not on, and the engine is cold- but the outside temperature hovers around 100 degrees here in Vegas)
'04 Baja T 5MT, '09 Sportwagen TDI, '93 Corrado
cparman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cparman »

To fix mine I had to have the ECU replaced. The problem (as I understand it) is the relay causes a voltage spike that damages the ECU. Fortunately mine was replaced under warranty. I would contact a dealer about it. I also opened up a complaint with SOA after the first dealer I took it to did not want to deal with it. That got the dealer listening. This was a recall on the GTs but never one the Baja. I guess there just is not enough of them.

Good Luck.