1st gear clunk when starting out?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

1st gear clunk when starting out?

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Maybe I am hearing stuff, maybe its because I had my hand on the shifter the few times when I started letting the clutch out... but its like 28 degrees here right now (farenheit) and leaving work and leaving dinner today with the wife the baja made a little clunk noise when I started going forward in 1st gear as I let the clutch out. Kinda reminded me on how my CV joints used to make noise on my old GL.

I am thinking maybe the cold weather is making some grease or something on the drivetrain thick or something. Its never made noise when its above freezing. The car only has 6100 or so miles, and its a 2005 Sport. Its not a loud clunk, but enough that my trained ear can hear its not something that it did yesterday.

My non educated guesses would be CV's or the tranny making the noise (1st gear sucks in the tranny or the grease in the CV's is too thick for this cold)
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
wetdawg
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: 1st gear clunk when starting out?

Post by wetdawg »

Did you ever figure out this problem w/ your Baja? I have same year same car same problem. I too was able to link this problem to temperature, but it seemed I needed to be under about 20 degrees. Darn Cold in Chicago now.

The dealer thinks it is a bushing on the shifter. I am still trying to find out which bushing. Could this be one of the bushings that is replaced by the Kartboy set, or a different one. Looking for more information on this.

2005 Baja Sport