is there a class II hitch for bajas?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

scott
Scoobytruck Lurker

is there a class II hitch for bajas?

Post by scott »

i'm looking for a class II hitch for my baja. the towing capacity is 2400 lbs for the baja and the class I rating is 2000 lbs. i want to cover that 400 lb gap. i've searched for hours to no avail. if anyone knows of a place to get a class II hitch, i would greatly appreciate the help.

thx,
scott
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Re: is there a class II hitch for bajas?

Post by speedymatt »

there isn't a class II hitch made for the baja all you will find is the class I. some have said that the oem hitch is more of a class I+ to cover subarus claim of 2400# but it has never been confirmed. in the owners manual it says that 2400 is only for trailers with brakes anyway so really any class I hauling a trailer with brakes should get you to 2400#s. the actual is like 1000#s for auto and 1200 for manual.
scott
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by scott »

thanks for the reply. i have done some more searching and have found on multiple web sites that a 2400 lb rating is for the manual and 2000 lb for an automatic (which i have). i plan on buying a scamp trailer with a dry weight of about 1650 lbs and wanted the extra leeway with regards to towing capacity.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Your multiple web sites are apparently incorrect. I have the A/T as well, and the owner's manual is very clear and specific. The tow rating is 2,400 lbs for trailers with brakes, and the hitch is a class I. This is a bit at odds since industry-standard class I rating is only 2,000 lbs, but again the manual is clear: Class I, 2,400 lbs with trailer brakes. There are no commercial Class II hitches available.

Based on my experience towing various things of various weights, don't worry about your trailer. Your Baja and its hitch will handle it just fine (provided it has trailer brakes). If it doesn't have trailer brakes, you're almost certainly in violation of your state law. Nevertheless, you could still pull it, but I'd be awfully, awfully careful and slow driving around that way. It's much, much harder to stop a trailer that heavy with no brakes.
crackhead
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by crackhead »

I've been towing my 13' Scamp with my '03 manual Baja since 2005. It will handle it with the class 1 hitch. Just DON'T get the one that U-Haul makes.
Seth in Asheville, NC