wiring 12v an auxillary outlet to stay hot always?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

wiring 12v an auxillary outlet to stay hot always?

Post by davecoon13 »

I have the 03 Baja Sport, which only has one 12V lighter outlet (unlike later models that have an outlet in the arm console). Right now, I have a 6 outlet strip plugged into the lighter socket (for CB Radio, Sirius Radio, Cellphone Charger, GPS unit, ipod, etc).

I want to hardwire that strip into the Electrical system. Can the sockets be hardwired to stay hot when the key is out? Is this move ill-advised--could it drain the battery?

I am wondering, maybe I should just splice it into the exiting lighter wiring.

Will I have to run new wiring from the battery? Can I tie to some other
"always hot" electrical source (map lights)?

Can I tie to a blank spot on the fuse panel or should I put an inline fuse?

Does the fuse panel have slots that are always hot? Does it have slots that are controlled by the ignition/acc?
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

watch out for the switched ground issue...

Post by canuck37 »

Just beware of the whole switched ground issue...not like a normal ol' US neg ground system. I wouldn't worry about draining the battery unless you are abusing the outlet with something like a DC converter or the like. If you are into that then you ought to be thinking heavy gauge wire and separate fuses, etc......
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hi Dave,
I made my 03 lighter socket hot all the time. I just ran a wire from the load side of the door lock fuse (I think thats what it was), and cut off the power wire on the back of the factory lighter wiring. Used some shrink tube on that connection to keep it from shorting out. I have a 3 outlet strip hooked up to it, so I can charge my phone if the ignition is off, or my nephew can play games with the key off. Also works nice to keep the travel refrigerator running when the ignition is off.
Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.