Mmmmm. Doughnuts!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

jkviper
Scoobytruck Lurker

Mmmmm. Doughnuts!

Post by jkviper »

Greetings from Oregon!

Just took delivery of my used '03, Baja Yellow, Subaru Baja last Thursday. I have read the first four screens of the "Anything Baja" forum as well as a few screens from the Baja Technical forum. It's great to have found an active Baja community to shoot the breeze with! (I'll get to the point with doughnuts in a minute. ;-)

Drove it home from a used car lot in San Diego Thursday and Friday. It was a grueling ride on Greyhound to get down there but a pleasure to drive it home. I LOVE this truck. A whole different personality than the V6 in the Ford Explorer Sport Trac I just sold but the Baja is growing on me fast. SO much more agility, a bit better on gas consumption and oh, so cute!!

Growing up in the midwest, my dad owned an Ranchero for a while and he still owns an El Camino today. Though it's in real sad shape these days, it still gets the job done. The Baja (to me) mostly feels like a modern day revival of that El Camino genere. Having grown up with that car/truck hybred thang, it's pretty nostalgic and fun for me to own a Baja. Also, I used to own a yellow and black Geo Tracker that was very similar to Baja yellow. I really liked that color for an SUV so I figure that's what inspired me to seek out a yellow '03. Very sporty. Very eye-catching.

This is the first Subaru I have owned. Up to now it's been mostly The Big Three American branded stuff (Ford/Chrystler/Chevy). So far, I'm damn impressed. A very refined vehicle.

At the moment, I have but one question for the wisdom of the list. Tis about spare tires (doughnuts). I thought I looked over the car pretty well while it was on the lot but didn't notice til I got all the way home that the spare is missing from underneath the truck.

I figure I can go to a wrecking yard and pick one up but I'm looking to know which other Subaru models use the same size rim and bolt pattern as the Baja. Due to the limited production run, I figure that a Baja on the lot of a wrecking yard might be a somewhat rare find but if I can widen the field of what to ask for (spare from a Legacy, perhaps??) that would increase my chances of coming home with the item I have set out to procure.

Thanks for indulging me with this introduction and doughnut question.

TIA,
db
--
David
Beaverton, OR

DISCLAIMER:
"This email is a natural product made from recycled electrons.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its
individual character and beauty and in no way are to be
considered flaws or defects."
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

I'd wager you'd be safe with years 94-04 Legacy Outback spare. Anyone else?
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

5x100 is the bolt pattern I believe, which I think is common for most recent and probably past subarus. I've considered picking up a set of WRX rims from the NASIOC forums, since those guys seem to be quick to swap off the factory wheels. Not sure how much the offset differs, think about 5mm. There are some subies that have a different bolt pattern, 115.5 x5 or something like that. STi rims are this pattern I think.

-Pow
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Yes, the Baja is a 5x100 pattern. The STi is 5x114, so they won't fit. Suggest looking at the Legacy wheels/tires mentioned above.
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

Tada, here is where you can cross reference. Baja stock is 16" wheel with 6.5" width and a +48mm offset.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html

-Pow
jkviper
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jkviper »

Ooooh! VERY nice!

Thanks to all who have replied!!
--
David
Beaverton, OR

DISCLAIMER:
"This email is a natural product made from recycled electrons.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its
individual character and beauty and in no way are to be
considered flaws or defects."