Seat Belt frayed, 03 Baja Sport, 38K Miles

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Seat Belt frayed, 03 Baja Sport, 38K Miles

Post by davecoon13 »

Is there any warranty on a frayed Drivers' seatbelt? My wife noticed that my driver's seatbelt is frayed. I have the Subaru Added Security 6year/60K warranty on my 03 Baja (38K Miles). How expensive is a new seatbelt? I bet they ream you with dealer install charges.

Is there any warranty on the seatbelts?

The MYSUBARU website says this:

"Seat Belt Limited Lifetime Warranty
Coverage: Useful Life of the Vehicle

Seat belt coverage lasts for the useful life of the vehicle and includes seat belts and related components which fail to function properly during normal use."

I suppose they will tell me that the fact that the seatbelt is frayed does not affect its proper function.

When I had a Geo Metro years ago, I had to replace the front seatbelts at least 6 times during the time I had that car, and only the first few of those times were covered under warranty. That was like 15 years ago and it cost $200 each time. I hate to think what Subaru will charge me 15 years later.

Eventually, I got to the point of visiting salvage yards and installing ones that were probably broken from a major accident, to scrimp on costs while remaining compiant with seatbelt laws, probably not a good idea, I was just a dumb kid.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I would think that they would be covered, unless they consider fraying a normal? thing. I would bitch about it though, and see what they do. Most seat belt retractors have a tensioner in them that fires when there is an impact to keep you in the seat tight, before the airbag fires. I don't know if Suby has this or not. It maybe in the buckle end also. Yell at the stealership and see what they say. If they say no, go right up the ladder and talk to the zone rep. Usually, they will give in, you might have to pay a deductable, but this will be cheaper than the whole bill.
Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.