Radio wiring - Factory Harness - colors/pinouts

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting ready to install an aftermarket head unit and before I go pulling stuff apart I was wondering if anyone had access to an OE wiring diagram for 2006 models.

Specifically wire colors and/or harness pinouts for factory harness.

I found this link, but itends before 06.

Can anyone confirm that the pinout or colors are correct here?

http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/Legacy-pinout.htm

ALSO, second part of the question. If this is correct, does anyone know where I can get a 14-pin connector to make an adaptor, or a pre-made one, like the ones provided by Crutchfield. My loving wife bought the head unit locally, not realizing that Crutchfield would have made my life a LOT easier.

Kev
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

you ought to be able to get a premade harness at any local audiophile shop, the generic subaru one should work... i know that when i put my aftermarket stereo in, i went to circuit city or best buy for mine... i think. it only takes about 15 mins to carefully pull the stereo out anyway, most places who are worth a damn ought to let you pull yours and test fit b4 you buy it. good luck
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

It's been a decade or more since I installed a head unit, I didn't realize the local shops would have those harnesses too.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out Tweeter or Circuit City tomorrow.

Kev
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

While we're on the topic, I got a new HD-Radio head unit for the WRX and am going to put the WRX 6-disc changer in the Baja. Will it fit? Also, how does the console come apart? I can't locate the screw holes anywhere and I wanted to do the chrome shift gate mod anyway.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

check out the baja library link, i think in the subwoofer install section are great instructions on how to pull it all apart.
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

spazchicken wrote:While we're on the topic, I got a new HD-Radio head unit for the WRX and am going to put the WRX 6-disc changer in the Baja. Will it fit? Also, how does the console come apart? I can't locate the screw holes anywhere and I wanted to do the chrome shift gate mod anyway.
In addition to what cliffhanger wrote, I have pics somewhere on here of the wrx 6 disc in my baja. Fits fine.
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

Thanks. The subwoofer install pdf told me what I needed to know.
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

Circuit City has some decent hook up wires, I think by Metra. They go from the factory plug to a universal one, then another universal plug to a plug designed for different stereo manufacturers. (at least the manufacturers they sell...) Makes things a breeze. They can be pricey but if you don't do soldering or crimping it is the best solution.

When I had hooked up a Kenwood stereo in my '03 I managed to get the two parts from Circuit City for about $10 total. Putting a new Kenwood in my '06 this past weekend I checked with CC to see if they still had them, I had spliced into my last set for an external amp. They no longer carry Kenwood stereos so they didn't have the head unit end, but they still had the subie end. I could just clip off the universal plug and do my normal soldering. Then I found out they wanted $20 for the part (only 1/2 of a full kit!) and I said screw that. I went back and sacrificed my old harness to build a new one. If I had really wanted I could have picked up a standard solder/crimp harness for under $10 online. What CC wanted was robbery IMO but for some the value may be there.

Kev, if you haven't done your install yet and would like a hand fire me off a PM. I've had my dash open enough times that I could probably swap a head unit in my sleep... except that every time I forget to reconnect the damn vent control! Did it again this weekend, was later wondering why I was so cold. D'oh!

-Pow
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

POW - thanks for the offer, but I went out on Tuesday, picked up an adapter harness and installed the head unit. Took a couple of hours, mostly because I was being cautious.

In case anyone is wondering, on a 5-speed, the shifter cover just snaps into and out of place. You pull up on the sides and back (GENTLY) at the front, then the cover comes loose.

However the trim plate around the radio is a little more tricky.

I first pulled the two vertical screws which hold that little cup below the power outlet and ash tray.

Once that cup was out of the way I had a little more room to work, then I removed the ash tray and removed the screw (there should have been two, but a dealer tech had already been in there and didn't put all the screws back :roll:). There should be two screws threaded vertically, upward above the ash tray and into the trim piece. Then the trim piece is still held on by I THINK it was 3 push fasteners, one at the top left, one mid left and one toward the top right. with the screws out, pull gently on the trim piece to release it.

Then the temp control center, head unit and pocket/storage tray(s) are all held in by a bracket assembly that is held on (or again, should have been :roll: ) by two horizontal screws on each side and two on the bottom).

The storage pockets are held in by one screw on each side that thread into the pocket and one locating pin on each side.

The head unit and maybe the temp control center were held in by two screws on each side that thread into the HU or temp control center.

Oh, the wiring, I should post the link that I found on I think it was Scoobymods. It gave pinouts which were correct and wire colors (only some of which were correct) for the factory wiring harness.

Then again, I have the factory subwoofer, which included yet another adapter wiring harness with yet different wire colors, so I took a leap of faith when the pinout on the factory manual matched the pinout on Scoobymods. I matched the Alpine harness up to the pins of the adapter harness both by EIA color AND by pinout positions and all was well!!!

Kev
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

In case anyone is interested in seeing how the Alpine HU integrates into the Scoobie-Doo Dash

first an overall of the HU in the console.

Then a close-up of the unit in operation

and a shot of how we mounted the Ipod in the dash pocket, behind the folding door. I used some of the foam that the Ipod was shipped with to fasten a cradle that would hold it to keep it from bouncing or sliding around, and just drilled a small hole at the back of the pocket for the firewire.

Since the head unit will fully interface I can fully run the Ipod without ever having to see it. I can search playlists, artists, albums etc right from the HU.

and lastly, how the HU face flips down for access to the CD port

Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

Kev M wrote:In case anyone is wondering, on a 5-speed, the shifter cover just snaps into and out of place. You pull up on the sides and back (GENTLY) at the front, then the cover comes loose.
Ditto on the automatic.

Nice looking install, the colors of the Alpine seem to blend well with the other dash components. I like the idea on your iPod making use of the foam packing material. Too bad you didn't get this posted Wednesday, the packing material for my Zen Micro just got carted away yesterday morning! Since I can't control that player directly from the head unit (standard aux inputs) having the player easily accessible is a goal. I'll probably just set it in the tray under the ashtray and 12v socket.

I'll try and get pics of my latest Kenwood install up later, and if there is interest I'll get some "in the dash" pics posted the next time I pull the unit out. I'll be opening it up again sometime soon to add in an HD radio tuner and finalize the location of my aux input jack.

So without me going out to my Baja and scanning through the manual, just what is the switch blank above the ashtray for? Would this be for the roof lights switch?

-Pow
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Pow wrote:
Nice looking install, the colors of the Alpine seem to blend well with the other dash components. I like the idea on your iPod making use of the foam packing material. Too bad you didn't get this posted Wednesday, the packing material for my Zen Micro just got carted away yesterday morning! Since I can't control that player directly from the head unit (standard aux inputs) having the player easily accessible is a goal. I'll probably just set it in the tray under the ashtray and 12v socket.

I'll try and get pics of my latest Kenwood install up later, and if there is interest I'll get some "in the dash" pics posted the next time I pull the unit out. I'll be opening it up again sometime soon to add in an HD radio tuner and finalize the location of my aux input jack.

So without me going out to my Baja and scanning through the manual, just what is the switch blank above the ashtray for? Would this be for the roof lights switch?

-Pow
Yeah, on the colors the Alpine has some of the same green you see elsewhere on the dash. And the red works too.

The blue is a little out of place, it's too bad that's not green too. But it doesn't bother me.

The main display screen is black and white, but it's VERY visible day or night, so I'm happy.

Sorry I didn't get the pics sooner, I installed on Tuesday and took a road trip up to the Poconos with the wife on Wed... didn't get pics until I got back.

DEFINITELY post pics of your head unit, it would be good for others who are considering replacing theirs!

Not sure of the blank, I'd have to check my manual too. Roof lights would have been my first guess too.

Kev
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

the blank is for the sport activity lights.

Nice HU Kev M
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

UPDATE - I LOVE the Alpine HU.

Finally figured out how to navigate the Ipod efficiently.

It has a menu to select Playlists, Artists, Albums etc.

Sound is EXCELLENT with the factory premium speakers, tweeters and subwoofer.

I'd go so far as to call it "kickin'"!

:wink: