Snorkus Mods? What the heck?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Snorkus Mods? What the heck?

Post by davecoon13 »

Has anyone here heard of modding the Snorkus on the Baja? In the Yahoo! Groups Subaru Baja forum, there was some discussion of the Snorkus and how to mod it. Will the Snorkus mod cause snow or water/mud to get into the intake system? It seems like they claim you can get 1-2HP by removing the shrouding under the front passenger side wheel well and disconnecting the snorkus....what the heck is a Snorkus?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

snorkus is the name someone gave the resonator chamber on the intake elbow which is hidden in the passenger side inner fender area.

All it really does is make the intake louder.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

I believe they are referring to the silencer elbow, some people "delete" it... they then can get a bit more HP, and the "turbo whooosh" comes thru a little more... I just got a Short Ram Intake, it deletes the box, gives you rechargeable cone filter, and sounds even louder and can add 6-8 HP. Hope (if I'm right) this helps.
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Dark Pony
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Dark Pony »

is there a link to this? curious to get more info on it
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

google searched and found this -

http://www.scoobytuner.com/part.reviews ... ductID=415

My friend has this on his STI. He wanted something between a short ram intake (hot air from the engine bay), and a cold air (possible rainwater suction).

It will work on the Baja. Allows you to keep a stock appearance, but get a little more intake woosh sound.
2005 turbo - WRX intercooler, Samco hoses, GFB bov, 3" Helix catless downpipe, 2.5" SS CatBackEx, front and rear skidplates(for rocks and logs), Westin safari bar, lots of Hella 500's
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

brujah wrote:google searched and found this -

http://www.scoobytuner.com/part.reviews ... ductID=415

My friend has this on his STI. He wanted something between a short ram intake (hot air from the engine bay), and a cold air (possible rainwater suction).

It will work on the Baja. Allows you to keep a stock appearance, but get a little more intake woosh sound.
yep thats the GPmoto I have on mine. Ide only recommend it if you get it for free.
Dark Pony
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Dark Pony »

Hawk296 wrote:
yep thats the GPmoto I have on mine. Ide only recommend it if you get it for free.
is that because it's not worth the money iyo?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Yeah, its really a lot of money for a plastic tube. since all it really does is make it louder, you can achieve the same results by removing it or cutting off the bottom chamber and capping the hole on the stock one.