skid plates

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

yellowblaze wrote:Subysolutions has one for an OB that will fit the Baja-$189. http://www.subysolutions.com I will get the part number when I get home of you want, I just emailed them for it. I think it has holes for access to the filter & drain plug.
DEFINITELY keep me posted on this!!!!

K
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Email I received from suby solutions:

We do have a skid plate that will fit your car perfect. Rallitek used it for a few years on there off road version Baja. The part number is 60-001... .it si the same one that is used on 2000-2004 outback models. The cost is $189.95. You can check it out on the website http://www.subysolutions.com Thank you
We have them in stock!

Chris Delano
ipd Volvo
Suby Solutions Subaru
1-800-444-6473 ext 148
chris@ipdusa.com
chris@subysolutions.com
http://www.ipdusa.com
http://www.subysolutions.com
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

I got the following e-mail from Paul Eklund at Primitive Racing.:
>In a message dated 11/21/06 12:37:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>davecoon13 writes:
>
><< I am considering one from another company (Subysolutions.com) >that has slots for the Oil Filter and Oil Drain Plug, unless you can create
>one with that, then I might consider getting it from you. >>
>
>I add a bolt-on hatch for oil filter and drain access for $40 more, but
>entire plate comes off with 4 bolts and is just about as easy to remove >as a hatch.
>But some people still want that. The hatch is a piece of aluminum and is
>held by 4 button head bolts (to not get damaged). Plate weighs just 17 >lbs so it
>is pretty easy to remove (Jiffy Lube does it all the time for my other Baja
>customer).
>
>Let me know if you have any other questions.
He attached this picture:

For my needs (Mostly on-road use 1/8" ought to be plenty thick enough. 1/8" is pretty thick compared to the plastic I currently have.

The ones pictured at Subysolutions.com look much more professional:
The one from Primative just looks like sheet metal, yet the ones from Subysolutions have a cleaner look (not that anyone aside from JiffyLube or the Dealer will ever see it). I am afraid of the idiots at the Jiffy Lube, yes the same ones that stripped my air filter bolts, will not change the oil fliter if they can't see it. Why, you ask, do I continue to go to JL? Because I don't have time to make an appointment at the dealership. And the dealer is just too slow. The only thing is that JL charges $30 extra for the tire rotation (which I do every oil change, since I think tire rotation it is required every so many miles for the AWD system).
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Why not just try a different place? Also, an FYI-if you raise a big fuss with the head corporate idiots, they will likely pay to fix what they break. It's not like they pay those people very much-believe me, I was a cashier at an Avis lube for a while. And that job included checking in the cars, cashing out the customers, vacuuming the cars, doing the windows, making the coffee, answering the phone and cleaning the waiting room. It's been quite a few years so pay scals and min wage have changed-but at the time I was making about .10 above min and most of the guys in the pit and above weren't making much more. once they forgot the drain plug. The manager followed the trail of oil to the guy's house-and he got a brandy new engine free of charge. Some things are worth paying a little more for, imo-if you can't/don't want to do it yourself.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

I like the look of the ones from Scoobysolutions...

and I wouldn't let a dealer change oil on my cars, NEVER MIND JL...

K
baja03
Scoobytruck Master

Post by baja03 »

I got my 1/8" aluminum skid plate from Rallitek.com and when i bought it i payed $179 for it.