Trailer Hitch -- anyone done it?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

mbaksic wrote: Guess you have never been to Wisconsin in the winter, either. It's the favorite pastime, everytime you get a flake of snow, salt the hell out of everything, because nobody knows how to drive in the stuff. And if you don't salt the heck out of everything, you get about 400 accidents in the county that morning!!
Sand, we don't use no stinkin sand around here in the winter!! Mike
Dude, my point is that you deal with some salt spray a few months of the year, marine engine ARE DIPPED IN THEM, some of them SIT IN SALT WATER their whole lives. Trust me, I know a little about dealing with salt. :wink:
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Kev M wrote:
mbaksic wrote: Guess you have never been to Wisconsin in the winter, either. It's the favorite pastime, everytime you get a flake of snow, salt the hell out of everything, because nobody knows how to drive in the stuff. And if you don't salt the heck out of everything, you get about 400 accidents in the county that morning!!
Dude, my point is that you deal with some salt spray a few months of the year, marine engine ARE DIPPED IN THEM, some of them SIT IN SALT WATER their whole lives. Trust me, I know a little about dealing with salt. :wink:
The problem is that you have to remember to recoat things, after all, you will connect and disconnect the trailer wiring many times. Need to keep it coated up with grease good. I figure that you have seen the corrosion creep up through the wiring and ruin a harness if its not kept out. In a boat wiring harness that is always in salt air, it must be a PITA to keep the wiring clean and working correctly all the time. Its just amazing what this stuff can do to a car. I have seen neat things that I never would have thought possible when I started out in this field. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

mbaksic wrote:
Kev M wrote:
The problem is that you have to remember to recoat things, after all, you will connect and disconnect the trailer wiring many times. Need to keep it coated up with grease good. I figure that you have seen the corrosion creep up through the wiring and ruin a harness if its not kept out. In a boat wiring harness that is always in salt air, it must be a PITA to keep the wiring clean and working correctly all the time. Its just amazing what this stuff can do to a car. I have seen neat things that I never would have thought possible when I started out in this field. Mike
Actually marine motors fair very well. If you use a dielectric grease before a connection is made, that connection is pretty much sealed from the outside environment. If you aren't disconnecting and reconnecting it all the time, you have no problems.

You can also use anti-corrosion sprays on the whole powerhead/motor. A light coating goes a long way. Heck, I don't know why I haven't coated any automotive motors using the stuff, that would make sense.

The trailer harness is probably the most prone to corrosion. So you keep it capped and when you use it you give a little dab of grease. Viola.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Kev M wrote:
mbaksic wrote:
Kev M wrote: Dude, my point is that you deal with some salt spray a few months of the year, marine engine ARE DIPPED IN THEM, some of them SIT IN SALT WATER their whole lives. Trust me, I know a little about dealing with salt. :wink:
Actually marine motors fair very well. If you use a dielectric grease before a connection is made, that connection is pretty much sealed from the outside environment. If you aren't disconnecting and reconnecting it all the time, you have no problems.

You can also use anti-corrosion sprays on the whole powerhead/motor. A light coating goes a long way. Heck, I don't know why I haven't coated any automotive motors using the stuff, that would make sense.

The trailer harness is probably the most prone to corrosion. So you keep it capped and when you use it you give a little dab of grease. Viola.
And I keep mine undercover in the box, so I hope to have no problems. But it is also coated with dielectric grease just to be on the safe side. Which reminds me, I have to coat it again now that snow and salt are on their way shortly.
This reminds me of a funny story about my old Cherokee. I had a guy at work tell me that the best way to keep corrosion out of the trailer plug when it sat outside is to take a trailer end, chop off the wires, and grease the 2 of them and plug them together. I did that, seemed to work nice. Then one day I was parked at the grocery store. I had the Jeep turned off, but had my foot on the brake pedal. There was a truck with a chrome bumper ahead of me, and I could see my parking lites shining in that bumper. I checked the headlites, they were off. I took my foot off of the brake pedal, and the lites went off, put my foot back on the brakes, and they went on. It took me only a few seconds to figure out what had happened. The back side of the trailer plug I used I didn't coat with anything, and with the winter salt, it had corroded across the outside back of the plug where the wires were chopped off. This corrosion was just enough of a circuit to backfeed the brake lite circuit back into the park lite circuit through the outside of the plug. Fixed that in a hurry with some black rtv. Weird what a little salt corrosion can do. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.