BajaBob's Bumper mounted activity lights?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

BajaBob's Bumper mounted activity lights?

Post by davecoon13 »

I saw a Carwash photo from BajaBob in the Anything Baja forum of a Baja equipped with bumper mounted activity lights. Are these the Factory availible ones that are typically Roof Rack Mounted?

I was thinking of adding some activity lights to my Baja, and I like the Bumper Idea.

Can KC lights be added, or must one go with the Factory style?

How does one si
the lights, is there a kit that comes with a switch?

Does light installation require installing wiriIg or is there a quick connect plug?

I have a multimeter, and know how to solder. I understand basic electrical wiring. How difficult is it to install?

I think the bumper is plastic. How does one get the lights to bite into the Bumper securely?
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Re: BajaBob's Bumper mounted activity lights?

Post by bajabob »

davecoon13 wrote:I saw a Carwash photo from BajaBob in the Anything Baja forum of a Baja equipped with bumper mounted activity lights. Are these the Factory availible ones that are typically Roof Rack Mounted?
I was thinking of adding some activity lights to my Baja, and I like the Bumper Idea.
Can KC lights be added, or must one go with the Factory style?

How does one si
the lights, is there a kit that comes with a switch?

Does light installation require installing wiriIg or is there a quick connect plug?

I have a multimeter, and know how to solder. I understand basic electrical wiring. How difficult is it to install?

I think the bumper is plastic. How does one get the lights to bite into the Bumper securely?
Hey dave -

The lights are Hella FF200 which are more of a driving light pattern. They are mounted on a Carr Lightwing plate+light mount that I have tied back into the bumper beam with some threaded rod. The light kit comes with a switch that I mounted under the turn signal stalk. A bit of modifying of the hella harness was necessary to get it to work the way I wanted it to (driving lights on only with highbeams on).

Bob
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

bajabob wrote:The light kit comes with a switch that I mounted under the turn signal stalk. A bit of modifying of the hella harness was necessary to get it to work the way I wanted it to (driving lights on only with highbeams on).

Bob

Bob, could you go into details on how you accomplished that, as there was someone else on this board and NASIOC who was looking for help.

After looking at the wiring diagrams I've told him to connect reverse the Helle switch control harness connections, putting what would have been to ground on the relay to a fused power source, and connecting the switch side of the relay to the switched ground for the highbeams.

That sound like what you did or did you do something else?

Kev
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Kev M wrote:
bajabob wrote:The light kit comes with a switch that I mounted under the turn signal stalk. A bit of modifying of the hella harness was necessary to get it to work the way I wanted it to (driving lights on only with highbeams on).

Bob

Bob, could you go into details on how you accomplished that, as there was someone else on this board and NASIOC who was looking for help.

After looking at the wiring diagrams I've told him to connect reverse the Helle switch control harness connections, putting what would have been to ground on the relay to a fused power source, and connecting the switch side of the relay to the switched ground for the highbeams.

That sound like what you did or did you do something else?

Kev
I'm going on memory here as this was done about a year and a half ago and since I used a pile of rubber tape and heat shrink I can't see what I did anymore.

I remember seperating the control wires from the light power wires as the relay and the lights shared a ground. In the end I wound up with something like this -

wire from pos of battery thru fuse to relay and out to light harness
wire from body ground to light harness
wire from pos side of headlight to hella switch
wire from hella switch harness to relay
wire from ground side of headlight to hella switch harness and to relay
edit - now with awsome paint diagram

Bob
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I got ya. I couldn't see the forrest through the trees when checking this for someone else.

I was stuck on the fact that the hot wire from the headlights would be hot all the time the ignition was turned on so I didn't want to use it for the hot side of the relay control circuit.

BUT, because you connected both grounds (the relay control circuit AND the light part of the switch to the switched ground for the headlight circuit it works fine). Makes perfect sense.

I wonder if that would be easier for the other poster to do without taking the dash apart again. Hmmmm

Thanks for posting that.

Kev