TCM problem on Baja 2005 Turbo 4EAT/SportShift

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

deejjjaaaa
Scoobytruck Lurker

TCM problem on Baja 2005 Turbo 4EAT/SportShift

Post by deejjjaaaa »

Hi All,

It will be a lengthy description, sorry to take your time.

Here is the description of what happened w/ my Baja 2005 Turbo Auto 4EAT/SportShift.

I was driving one hot & humid day (in June) back home and when I was already standing on my driveway I got
a call on my cell ph# - so w/ my car idling (transmission in "P") I spent probably 10-15 minutes outside.

When I was finally back in my seat there was a "CEL" light on. I switched the engine off and tried to recall what I was reading about "CEL" before.
One simple reason - gas tank cap was not closed tight. That was not the case, I always do several clicks - unless the cap itself
became damaged. Or I read about oxygen sensors. I tried to start the car and "CEL" was still on (it was probably expected). Next day I scheduled
a visit to the best known Subaru dealer in the area (that is http://www.langstonsubaru.com) even I had to drive across the whole city to reach it.

I have only 7000 miles on my Baja and less then a year since the purchase - so at least I was covered by the warranty.

When I was there (in the dealership) they told me that it was a rare code recorded: DTC P1714 = "Throttle Position Sensor Power Supply Circuit"
(that is what I saw on the page in their big fat blue service manual from Subaru - I have a photocopy of it too), they suggested to do some check on wires and cleared the code.
"You are good to go" and so I left... Hot and humid day again, stop and go traffic through a couple of tunnels in Pittsburgh... 20 miles later
after that hell I noticed that not only "CEL" light in ON again but I have "AT Oil Temp" light ON in addition... and that's is just after the service.

I called them from my cell ph# and asked if I am safe to drive and can drive back to fix the problem. "Yes, you can drive" was the answer. So
another 40-50 minutes later I was back in the dealership. The same code. Now they apparently read the item #2 in the list of solutions suggested
in their Subaru service manual... "We are ordering you a new TCM (transmission control module or TCU), come after the weekend (July 4th) and we will
fix the car."... also they did something and cleared the code again - at least I did not have the light later that day, nor it was appearing for several
days in a row later.

I called after the holiday and surprise - "TCM is coming only around July 29".... WTF ? "It will be coming from Japan" ... Japan ? Come on
- Bajas were until recently assembled in Indiana, is it possible not to have a single spare TCM in States ? Am I safe to drive having this issue ? "Yes, you
can drive - not a problem".

Well... It is Friday, July 14th... Hot and humid.. close to 90F... I am driving 15 miles on a highway @ 70-80 mph. Exit. Traffic light. Idling for like
3-5 minutes waiting for the green. Bang !!! I have 4 (_FOUR_) lights ON together. Engine kind of shuts off automatically. Damn !!!.
So 1) "CEL" + 2) "AT Oil Temp" + 3) "Charge Warning" (battery sign) + 4) “Oil Pressure Warningâ€Â
Baja '05 Turbo/Auto, atlantic blue pearl
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

I would definatly look at the trans fluid level and see if the stuff smells like it has been cooking. On my 03 the AT dipstick is hidden low and back on the drivers side of the engine bay.

Bob
deejjjaaaa
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by deejjjaaaa »

got TCM (TCU) replaced yesterday under warranty... the dealership states that they did not find any new DTC codes after the first one (very strange, with such illumination as 4 lights on and engine stalling) ? will try to test the car during next hot and humid day - lot of driving and idling to see if the problem gone.
Baja '05 Turbo/Auto, atlantic blue pearl