30k Service

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

cminter
Scoobytruck Lurker

30k Service

Post by cminter »

Did my own 30k service yesterday spent about $150 for all parts. I lucked out by having help from my brother who has access to a lift and all shop equipment. The service was not hard with the right tools, glad I didn't pay $600 at the dealer for it.
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Save your receipts.... that way if you have a warranty issue you can prove the service was done.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

And if you haven't done it already, make sure you log it into the Subaru website. I have logged all of the stuff I do to the Baja in there. You just have to register. That way, you can see what you have done, and when you did it. Its easy and free, to Suby owners. Mike
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Yep mysubaru.com is what I use to log stuff.

The only thing I dont like about it is that it says oil changes at 3750.... and then 7500. I of course do them at 3000 6000 and so on. So for now I logged my 3750 at 3000 miles. I figure I will just log them early and then throw in an extra entry when needed.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Thats what I do. I change my oil about every 2,000 miles, since it is dirty enough by then in my opinion. I log it in as a 3750 mile change, and keep using 3750 until a major service comes up. So there are alot of 3750 showing up on my list. Mike
cminter
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cminter »

I'll be getting a work order from my brother for the work. I do have the subaru page set and log all my service there. If you check you can change the dealer and some have different schedules as far as miles between oil changes. Don Miller Madison,WI has theirs at every 3,000 miles, this caused me to find another dealer to set as mine, now using a dealer in IL that uses the 7,500 mile service schedule. I run Mobil 1 for 5,000 miles, and was annoyed by all the past due service reminders.
jejda
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jejda »

Where can I find out what parts I need to do my 30K service? Do I need to talk to a dealer, or can one of you help? Also, how do you all feel about synthetic oil?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

jejda wrote:Where can I find out what parts I need to do my 30K service? Do I need to talk to a dealer, or can one of you help? Also, how do you all feel about synthetic oil?
I got all of the stuff for mine at Car Quest. Alot cheaper than the stealership. I did use Subaru coolant this time, I figured that maybe they had some special additives in it for the aluminum engine, so I spent the extra bucks for it. Also used water out of the dehumidifier at home, so there wouldn't be any minerals in it when I mixed it with the antifeeze. As far as synthetic oil, I don't use it except in my atv. I always use dino oil, and change it about every 2,000 miles or so. Not that synthetic is bad, I just can't see leaving it in an engine that long, especially if its under warranty. And if the factory is picky, they could void your your warranty for leaving it in for 7,500 miles or so. I have heard about that happening on a Dodge when I was at engine school. They voided a guys warranty because they expect you to change the oil every 3,000 miles, even if you use synthetic. Mike
jejda
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jejda »

Thanks Mike, but what I was looking for is what specific parts are to be replaced? I'm guessing filters, but how about belts, hoses, plugs, wires, etc? Thanks in advance.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hey Jejda, all I replaced on mine at 30,000 is the fuel filter, the plugs, the coolant. The belts looked good. Oh, and the oil change. I have 60,000 now, and am replacing the stuff again, but a bit slower as work is slow, so I am spreading the money out over several weeks. I have yet to look for a pcv valve, don't know where it is, or if it has one. The belts still look good, but I did the trans fluid again. I did it just after I bought the Baja, since I didn't know how the thing was treated. I know that Suby doesn't have the trans fluid required at 30,000, but we always do it at work at 30,000, so its not a bad idea. I have also changed out the front and rear diff fluids, but did this around 50,000. Not that it appeared to need it, I am just a nut about changing fluids on my vehicles once and awhile. Figure it can't hurt it. Mike
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Update, the 60,000 mile stuff is done. [smilie=fixtit.gif] I think that I spent around $75.00 altogether. :mrgreen: Plugs, fuel filter, trans filter and fluid, coolant, and oil change. Not a bad price if you can DIY. Nothing hard to do except that I had to pull the washer tank out of the way to get to the 2 plugs on the drivers side. Other than that, its pretty easy to do. I should also add that I have a cheap cold air intake on my Baja, so all the factory air cleaner crap is out of the way. Makes workin on the top side of the engine a breeze. Mike