Any mods planned for your Baja?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Any mods planned for your Baja?

Post by yellowblaze »

I'm kicking around a few thoughts, but since we just bought it, anything I want to do will have to wait a little while.  My possiblities:<br><br>sport lights<br>swap to "classic" mirrors<br>hard lockable tonneau<br>stereo w/flip out tv<br>remote starter & alarm (ok, so not really a mod, but an add on)<br>heated seats<br><br>eventually, when she's out of warranty, we're considering getten her a turbo, but that's a long way off.<br><br>Anyone else got a list?
alecw81

Re: Any mods planned for your Baja?

Post by alecw81 »

I'm looking to pick up an 04 or 05 Turbo (5spd or Auto doesn't matter which) to replace my recently totaled 92 Talon TSi AWD. After test-driving a Baja Turbo I'd say one of the first things to do would be to get a free-flowing exhaust (3" turbo-back, no cat) some form of Cold-Air Intake, upgrade the BOV (probobly GReddy Type-S) install a boost gauge (that dealer installed one is a joke) as well as a boost controller. That may look like quite a bit, but you should be able to get an exhaust made for a little over $500, intake should cost around $100, you can get GReddy Type-S Bovs everywhere for a decent price, an autometer boost gauge can be had for about $50, and a manual boost controller is $50-100. So for about $1k you could pick up an extra 40ponies if you cranked the boost up to around 15psi. Larger injectors and some form of air/fuel piggy back would be necc. for any more increases in boost pressure.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I have already had a remote start put on, and I already put on a hitch and wiring. ;D The next thing I am looking at is a Mudrat front bumper, to increase the ground clearance in the front a bit.  :oThen, when its out of warranty, lift it a bit.  :oOther than that, I am happy with the Baja right now.  ;D  Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
blubaja03
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by blubaja03 »

Hey,<br><br>     I made up a skidplate out of daimond plate.  It's on.  Gotta test is now :devil: lol Pics to come when it's nicer out.<br><br>Frank X.<br><br>
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yes, we need to see the PICS!!  ;D Mike
blubaja03
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by blubaja03 »

Hey,<br>  <br>      Took a few pic with my frends digi.  Only these 2 came out for some reason.  I'm working on more.<br><br>The hella 500's are mounted on a custom bracket.  24 inches long.  That is the only true measurement I have. lol.  This was all done by sight only. There are 2 bars coming out from under the grille which were bent.  I had to cut the plastic so they would fit flush under the grille.  <br><br>The skidplate is 20x36 inch daimond plate, 1/16 inch thick.  It was bolted into the 5 holes where the factory skidplate goes.(3 up front, 2 in the rear)  There is a hole for where the oil drain is.  <br><br>The missing center piece of the bumper was an accident.  Too many bumps.  It was hanging on by the center for many months.  Eventually one of the sides gaveway and I had to cut it out.  While I was in the woods no less.  I plan on making a new bumper eventually though.<br><br>Yakima roof box.  <br><br>Image<br>Image<br>
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Looks nice, I think that the skidplate is a good idea. ;DI pulled my bumper cover down bad up north this past summer, so I need some more ground clearance. I am thinking of a Mudrat bumper, but that is over a grand. Maybe the price will go down a bit, or I will do my own when I get a chance.   Mike
Greg Gibbons

Post by Greg Gibbons »

ive got a few mods im gonna give a try... i ordered a gpmoto sri, a perrin mbc, and a lighter perrin crank pulley, all from rallitek (they had the best prices on these) and then i ordered a 3" turboback exh from excelleration, got them in the mail the other day ;D, but my baja is in the shop getting some rally dings worked out ;)... cant wait to put them on... also working on some stereo mods. im putting a kenwood mp3/cd player w/10 disc changer in, putting diamond components all the way around, having my local shop build a custom box for two subs to take the place of the useless rear console that can be taken out easily so i can still use the switchback, all powered by diamond d7 amps. also am going to do a custom install of three autometer cobalt gauges (egt, boost, and a/f) in the top left over din after the stereo is in... but im still waiting for my baby to get back from the body shop!! :'(  .. hopefully will get 'er back on wednesday... well thats all i can really afford for now...
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

um, yup, that's me, greg... im still new at this you know... also thinkin bout an underbody light kit (in white, b/c i have a white/silver 05 baja turbo 5spd)... any thoughts on that? :-/
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I think a white light kit would look nice.  ;D I won't put one on as the cops would pick me up for sure around here, :'( and if I put in all of that time to put one on, I would sure like to use it.   Mike
blubaja03
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by blubaja03 »

Hey,<br><br>    Just found this pic of my bracket we made.<br>Image<br><br>Frank X.<br><br>
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hey Frank, I forgot to tell you, that looks nice, and simple enough to make. Just about anyone can make something like that, and have it look nice, without spending a ton of cash.   Mike
BajaBear
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaBear »

Oh boy-there's a running list in my head:
signal mirrors
wet okole seat covers
under carriage guards
safari light bar (Westin)
rear bumper guard
sport tubes (Westin)
cat back-delivered today
bike rack-still collecting parts
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

has everyone heard of the lift that allied armament is making? it is a body lift (4" for the 03, 2.5" for the 04/5/6) and they are going to sell it for $450. im getting one, thats for certain. look on nasioc under lift ?'s post.
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Cowtown Dave
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Cowtown Dave »

I added 2 12v sockets in the backseat on the back of the console in my 04. It was real easy, pull the plate drill the hole mount them (Radio Shack 12v sockets $7 ea.) Then I tied the power to a plug found under the drivers seat. instant power!! It is on all the ime without the key, which can be good or bad!!

You could also put a plug or a pressure switch light on the inside of the console going this same route.