Dead.......

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

rfugitt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Dead.......

Post by rfugitt »

Well my 2006 is in the shop. I came out yesterday morning, and it would not start. It would turn over but not catch. I tried several times over a 3 hour period, but it would not start. I had it towed to the dealer and it they said it started right away....
(no i didnt flood it)

So so far, i have the check engine light comming on every other day, and they cant find a reason for it, and now it wont start and they cant find a reason for it....
rfugitt
Scoobytruck Contributer

update

Post by rfugitt »

They have had it for two days, cant find anything wrong...looks like i got a lemon....
hookupny
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by hookupny »

I had this same problem with a new Altima and turned out to be a tiny hole in the fuel tank that allowed air in, so the computer thought the gas cap was open.Took the dealership 3 months and a new fuel tank to figure it out. Frustrating.

Ed
rfugitt
Scoobytruck Contributer

no solution.....

Post by rfugitt »

They got the car, and found nothing wrong.... Said it started first time......I had problems agian the next day, though it did finally turn over..... Check Engine light hasent come back on yet though......
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Have the dealership get a hold of Suby right away, maybe they know somethin the dealership doesn't know. At least you can have a rep look at it, and you can explain it too them. If they won't do this for you, get ahold of Suby yourself, and tell them whats happenin. Never take no for an answer, as it your money you spent, and the Baja should not have this kind of problem. I work at a Dodge dealer, and if the dealership gets ahold of the zone rep, they should schedule a time to look at it. We have had this happen many times with oddball problems, and the factory people are usually pretty fast at coming out to look at a prob like this, after all, who needs the bad publicity??? Mike
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Even though the check engine light isnt on when it is at the dealer, the code should still be stored in memory. If they scan it (which they should have already done) it will tell them waht that is all about, adn there is a good chance it is related to your problem.

only time ive experianced that problem on a subaru was an older outback when the crank sensor (they always go bad) had an intermittent failure.
rfugitt
Scoobytruck Contributer

computer codes

Post by rfugitt »

They told me there are two types of codes, temporary and permenant. The check engine light left no permenant codes, so that they could not tell why it came on..... (BS ? I dont know....) I will say this it is very hard to start on a cold morning (single digits)....and the check engine light hasent comeback on ( did they fix something and not tell me ?)

Another thing i have noticed, you really need to push the clutch hard in order to get the car to a point it will start...My girlfriend has had problems pushing it in all the way (leave it alone)...Anyone else have an issue like this ?
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I too have to push my clutch all the way in (all thw way, but not all the way and in hard). Then again I came from an 87 GL (and 82 brat) with no clutch start safety switch at all!

Our 99 4runner that was for sale at work is actually worse than my baja... you had to mash the clutch as hard as you could to get it to start... a salesman from another lot THOUGHT the battery was dead because the car wouldnt crank... he wasnt pushing the clutch hard enough.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k