newbie questions........yes i know RTFM

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

rfugitt
Scoobytruck Contributer

newbie questions........yes i know RTFM

Post by rfugitt »

I'm a little confused on the subject of covers. The one that is in the accesories catalogue, Is it just a vinyl cover like you would have on a convertible ? What is the one on the turbo versions ? I know i have send a hard cover on those. Is it available as an accessory ?

Ray

P.S. Just took delivery of a 2006 sport on Saturday.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

congrats on the new acquisition! yes, you are correct on your assumptions about the "soft" vinyl cover, it just uses snaps as far as i can tell too. many on here have had problems with this cover tearing at the edges and corners, and after a while it just gets old asking the dealer to replace it.
the hard cover, on the other hand, is very sweet, but you can only get it with the turbo leather version (what a shame) and is very difficult (if not impossible) to get it as an accessory. fortunately, there are a few companys that make an aftermarket cover for the baja's, snuglid, penda, and ozz bros. all make hardcovers, and A.R.E. makes a truck cap for our baja's. also, a few people have made their own covers, you would have to do a search to find them, b/c i cannot remember who they are. hope i helped, and have fun with your baja!
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Nanook
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Nanook »

The turbo w/ leather package hardcover is just wonderful, but you'll probably have trouble if you try to put a bike rack in the bed.

The leather package hardcover isn't waterproof, but will keep out rain and almost all water from a good car wash. Its locking, seams very durable, and strong enough for 3 people(~450lbs) to sit on without any noticeable give. It also has small straps on the underside to clip it to the sports bars and hold the cover open at highway speeds. My only real issue is that you need both hands to open it.

Subaru needs to start selling these things as aftermarket additions, i can't imagine not having one.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

thanks for rubbing it in :lol:
370 awhp
Nanook
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Nanook »

<<gloat>>
It also increases horsepower at the wheel and mileage by 20%, while making coffee and ensurng my shit dont stink :wink:
<</gloat>>
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

We've got the soft cover, and yes, it started tearing almost immediately. It's the plastic pieces that slid up under the trim to secure it that does it in.

I've now seen the snuglid in person, have to say, I like it. The Penda cover also looks good-both are hard & have a lock option (I know the Penda does, am 99% sure the snuglid does). The turbo/leather cover looks good-but I think I liked the snuglid better after seeing both.

We are thinking of making our own though, $1,000 for a hard top seems a bit outta hand to me.
rfugitt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by rfugitt »

Yeah I can't imagine a vinyl cover wouldnt last too long in the snow and sun up here at Tahoe.....

Ive got another one for you.....Having never owned a truck before....someone told me id get better Highway millage by lowering the tailgate on long trips..... It almost sounds reasonable....
Mr. Jalapeño
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Mr. Jalapeño »

Not necessarily.
See this thread for details--
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... t=tailgate
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

haha, that person is an idiot
someone told me id get better Highway millage by lowering the tailgate on long trips...
370 awhp
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

cliffhanger wrote:thanks for rubbing it in :lol:
Hay cliff can I rub it in also??

05 sport with turbo hardcover
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

quit rubbing, im getting raw... give me your hardcover or i'll be forced to something i'll regret! wait - i mean you'll regret! [smilie=ohyeah.gif]
370 awhp
kiddbaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kiddbaja »

i just got the snuglid. it rocks. 1300(ouch) but it is the same color, has auto lock feature. reltive easy to remove. and so far watertight. 8)
Did you get that thing i sent you?