How do I turn on the dashboard lights!!!!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

gremlinkurst
Scoobytruck Lurker

How do I turn on the dashboard lights!!!!

Post by gremlinkurst »

It is really pissing me off. I can't turn on the dashboard lights at night. What the HELL? It is DANGEROUS not to see the display!
gremlinkurst
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: How do I turn on the dashboard lights!!!!

Post by gremlinkurst »

2006 Subaru Baja Sport
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

Dash lights should come on with headlights. Dimmer is on the left steering wheel stalk.

Fuse is behind the coin holder below the cruise control/bed light console.

If they're burnt out, there's a good tutorial here on an LED conversion. I barely know which end of a screwdriver to hold and did them all in a few hours that included vacuuming the inside of the dash I opened. It's like 13 screws. The hardest part was on the dash there are 3 plugs - 2 next to each other are identical. I put a bit of tape on the one that plugs in on the right to get them straight.
05 NA 5MT
gremlinkurst
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by gremlinkurst »

Thanks, greymud. I feel so silly. I just discovered what my "malfunction" was about fifteen minutes before I reopened this post: It seems that I had inadvertantly turned the dimmer ring down on the left steering column wand. I appreciate your assistance.

A previous idiot owner of my truck somehow managed to screw up the wiring when he or she installed an after-market "smart" radio that draws too many amps for the circuit it's on, and the fuse keeps blowing (took me a while to locate the correct bastidge in the engine compartment. Why the bloody Hell they have two fuse boxes is beyon my ken), disabling the trip-meter and the security system, besides killing the radio. I paid a shop over $800 to work on the electrical, and they didn't fix diddly-squat. Maybe I can wire the radio directly to the battery. Frankly, I don't really care; the radio can be a dangerous distraction.
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

Radio replacement is pretty easy - even I did it.

I went to Crutchfield and got a single DIN unit that came with a wiring harness adapter.
05 NA 5MT