Tire Pressure Problem

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

gremlinkurst
Scoobytruck Lurker

Tire Pressure Problem

Post by gremlinkurst »

My 2006 Subaru Baja Sport doesn't have the manufacturer-recommended sized tires on it. When I bought it, it was already equipped with smaller-diameter 215-55R17 tires. The speedometer hasn't been calibrated to account for tire size, so the speed displayed is actually higher than that that the vehicle is travelling, so if I want the true speed, I rely upon my onboard GPS unit.

Anyway, I don't know what I should set my tires' pressure to. I'm guessing between 32 and 35, depending on front/rear specifications. If I underinflate, the tires will wear faster on the outer beads, and if I overinflate, they'll wear faster on the center bead, but optimal pressure will provide the best and safest road handling. I hadn't worried about it before, but the truck had been idle for six months, and I noticed the pressure was too low, barely over twenty PSI.
gremlinkurst
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Tire Pressure Problem

Post by gremlinkurst »

Well, given the lack of response, and the majority of 'net hits saying 35 PSI is the way to go, that's what I'll do. Tanks fer nuttin'.

I'll amend my decision pending experiencing what that pressure does for on-the-road handling. I just thought maybe someone might be willing to help out a brother. Guess I overestimated y'all. Buncha cold slobs.
dease42
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Tire Pressure Problem

Post by dease42 »

Dude, there's not that many people on the site..

And tire pressures should be based on the tire, not the car. Look up the tire, check the manufacturer's specs.

35 is fine. As you said, lower pressure will increase traction but decrease fuel efficiency - higher pressure the opposite. Don't go over 40, and the pressure will increase as the tires heat up, so don't be surprised if it changes. The difference in wear between 30-40 PSI will be almost nothing, certainly nothing to worry about.

This is a great community for this very limited run, older car that not many people have.. but it ain't fast (much like the Baja Sports!). Good luck!