What is this part??

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

2003BAJA
Scoobytruck Lurker

What is this part??

Post by 2003BAJA »

Hi all,

My 2003 Baja won't start. I turn the ignition and all the lights dashboard lights go on, but the starter doesn't engage. It's just silence.

I open the hood to investigate and see this wire has been chewed through. It appears to run to the altenator.

Two questions:

1) Could this explain why the car doesn't start?

2) What is it? I've poured over diagrams of the engine and can't find what to call it or indeed what it does.

My level of mechanical knowledge is low - I probably have no business owning a 2003 vehicle with 375,000km! But it's what I've got so any help would be warmly received.

All best,

NR
tempImageRccyeu.gif
tempImageRccyeu.gif (7.11 MiB) Viewed 1364 times
tempImageeYohEX.gif
tempImageeYohEX.gif (6.75 MiB) Viewed 1364 times
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Re: What is this part??

Post by 06Suparu »

That wire goes to your ac compressor. I would lool around for other wires that are chewed through. Try turning the ignition on. Step on the brake and listen for a click.
If you hear a click put the transmission in neutral and try starting the car again.
If you dont hear a click try jump starting the car.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: What is this part??

Post by anarchy1024 »

That wire powers the clutch for the A/C compressor (effectively, that's what "turns on" the compressor). It won't affect starting.

Manual or automatic? As mentioned by 06Suparu, do you hear any clicking when turning the key to start? I believe the radio and headlights turn off when attempting to start; does that still happen?