CV axle stress on 2" spacer lift

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Outbound Intent
Scoobytruck Lurker

CV axle stress on 2" spacer lift

Post by Outbound Intent »

I recently bought a 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo and just installed a 2" ADF Spacer lift. Once I put it all together I realized that the CV angles are pretty steep. I have been doing some research and have heard recommendations from all sides of the aisle. Some are saying these CVs can take up to 2.5" before having to drop the subframe in the front and others are saying you should drop everything (engine, transmission, control arms, etc.) in order to keep all moving components with stock angles. I am interested to hear what everyone else has done, what other solutions are out there or any recommendations you guys may have.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: CV axle stress on 2" spacer lift

Post by ZUBAJA »

Been running my 03 for about two years now with a 2" lift and no problems. I am also in the process of making a 1'' powertrain lowering set to decrease the angles for longevity, but that has been slow going. Dennis
Outbound Intent
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Outbound Intent »

ZUBAJA wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:39 pm Been running my 03 for about two years now with a 2" lift and no problems. I am also in the process of making a 1'' powertrain lowering set to decrease the angles for longevity, but that has been slow going. Dennis
That is awesome, any trouble with blowing CVs?
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I've had no trouble whatsoever. Bear in mind that I have an 03, which sits lower. The 2" lift on mine might mean a greater lift on an 05, which already sits a little higher from the factory. Dennis
Bulldog-Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bulldog-Baja »

I have the same 2" ADF Spacer lift, ..been running it for almost a year now with no issues.

Here's some photos of the work to date; https://photos.app.goo.gl/NnPRs18VahQ8yWZ66

Cheers
DisrespectedBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DisrespectedBaja »

ZUBAJA wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:39 pm Been running my 03 for about two years now with a 2" lift and no problems. I am also in the process of making a 1'' powertrain lowering set to decrease the angles for longevity, but that has been slow going. Dennis
I have an 04. I believe it may already have frame pucks from factory whereas maybe the 03 didn't..? Been trying to find longer bolts for everything to add 2" to this but it's tough to find. I have square tube to make the additional pucks
How did you make out?
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I went to a boneyard and checked vehicles until I finally found one with longer bolts that were the correct size and thread for the rear. It seems like a later model Forester was one that worked. On the front, because they are nut and bolt, I went to a bolt supplier and bought regular U.S. sized and grade 5 or 8 in the appropriate length. Unfortunately, I have put any of it in yet. Too many other irons in my fire. Dennis