Weird Series of Errors and Codes

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

ScoobyGrace
Scoobytruck Lurker

Weird Series of Errors and Codes

Post by ScoobyGrace »

This Baja has been a saga. Quick recap of the history. It is a 2005 Baja turbo bought about 6 months ago for my Mom. Back in early January, the timing belt broke stalling the engine, and destroying any ability to get compression. Then after a saga with a repair shop (I was traveling for work) we got the Baja back with a new short block, but throwing a Crankshaft position sensor code P0336. In addition to this code, it has thrown a random series of misfires on all cylinders, sometimes at once, sometimes just random cylinders. I also got a P0011 code once, but it went away, and never returned.

The Baja starts fine usually, unless it has been sitting overnight. Then it cranks longer than expected, but does start. The engine pulls strong and the turbo runs well and sounds good. When we bought the car, it had just had the water pump, head gaskets, propeller shaft, and turbo done on it.

To fix these issues, I have checked the crankshaft sensor wiring and replaced the sensor. I also checked the camshaft position sensor and it checked out. I recently replaced the cats front and rear, and the rear 02 sensor, the struts and the camshaft position sensor.

Now when driving, the Crankshaft position sensor code keeps coming back, and just recently, it is throwing the codes P0244 turbocharger wastegate solenoid (high performance), and P0741 torque converter solenoid. This occurs when accelerating from 3800-4000 rpms in each gear.

I am lost on this one. I want ot get this running, but I have no idea where to go next. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Pigmypony
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Weird Series of Errors and Codes

Post by Pigmypony »

please verify that the repair shop put the correct timing sprockets on the new short block engine. incorrect crankshaft or camshaft gears will also produce these issues.
ScoobyGrace
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Weird Series of Errors and Codes

Post by ScoobyGrace »

That's a good idea. What is the best way to verify that? Is it doable with the engine installed? Thanks for the advice.