Baja Tips and Tricks (STAY ON TOPIC!)

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja Tips and Tricks (STAY ON TOPIC!)

Post by ZUBAJA »

On an automatic. The manuals have a different AWS system. Dennis
jestermail
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jestermail »

Our Bajas are getting to be 20 years old and the trim is definitely brittle, especially on Florida Bajas. Installing my Sport Lights, I had TWO roof caps break at the catch. My best friend is a auto glass guy who specializes in classic cars for which trim is often not available. He taught me to use super glue with Zap-A-Gap Zip Kicker™ Super Glue Accelerator. The procedure that worked best was using enough glue for it to squish out of the joint, then spraying it with the accelerator. I didn’t have much hope as those roof catches are very thin, but it sure did! Both snapped back into place and are holding fine. The originals definitely look better than the 3d printed one from eBay, so save them!
jestermail
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jestermail »

On the topic of Trim Clips, after removing some of the original button clips around the bed to install Sport Lights, I noticed the original clips have a rubber filled center. The 3d printed clips from eBay do not. I’ve been having an issue with failure/falling out of some of the 3d printed clips. The catches are fairly stiff and sometimes snap during insertion. Since I had some thick, rubbery wire insulation available, it gave me the idea to fill the center of the 3d printed clips (the original runner plug is too big for the 3d clips). So far, I’ve been having excellent results. I believe the back pressure keeps the catch from snapping. I hope this helps!
Attachments
Clip as it comes from eBay
Clip as it comes from eBay
ACD0FCF3-EBB8-442D-B43F-5211D2720DBF.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 5197 times
Insulation trimmed down to roll to the proper  size
Insulation trimmed down to roll to the proper size
A4E9F7C3-C89E-4AEA-B2AE-FAB47D9021F4.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 5197 times
Rubber filled and ready to go
Rubber filled and ready to go
0F9EC8D4-EC5E-4246-9CF1-D3E33313E5BB.jpeg (176.39 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
TenPA
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by TenPA »

The trip odometer on my Baja had been bad for a while. Luckily, for me, it was just a bad switch and could be fixed it with one of these:

https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/pro ... et-switch/

If you don't have a hot air station be careful pulling the old one off because the traces are delicate. I was careful and one still peeled up a bit. It is a direct replacement but it doesn't sit flush like the OEM one. I cut and shaved a piece of popsicle stick then fit it snugly under the switch with some super glue. This way pushing on the button transfers the force into the stick/pcb rather than the traces.
Attachments
20230109_141107_crop.jpg
20230109_141107_crop.jpg (868.6 KiB) Viewed 4770 times