Cruise Control Doesn't Set

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

TresGatosUnDog
Scoobytruck Lurker

Cruise Control Doesn't Set

Post by TresGatosUnDog »

2005 Subaru Baja Sport - Automatic.

The speedometer works, no codes show during a scan.

When I push the Cruise Control button on the left, the cruise light comes on.

It just won't set speed.

I was wondering if there is anything common among these cars that fails with the cruise?

I have a copy of the FSM in PDF format. If there isn't anything common to try first I guess I'll just have to go step by step through diagnosing each part/sensor/switch until I find something. It's probably going to be the main switch on the steering wheel just because I'm a bit nervous about removing the airbag. It looks easy enough. Just don't like the idea of one going off accidentally.
Toybox06
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Set

Post by Toybox06 »

Mine did this when I first bought it used. I don’t think the previous owner ever used the cruise and I think the contacts in the switch got dirty. I worked it up and down a lot and it finally got to where it would make a connection. Now on a cold day it still has trouble setting but resetting is never an issue (lifting up on the stalk) more frustrating is there is no cruise set light on the dash to know if I got the sweet spot so on cold mornings it a lot of switch slow down repeat until I finally feel the pedal pull away slightly. I’m sure it just needs a switch. But you may try wiggling it up and down a bunch. I have not tried electrical contact cleaner yet but I will definitely disconnect the battery first if I do. Good luck. Hope this helps.
20Baja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Set

Post by 20Baja06 »

Toybox06 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:14 pm ...more frustrating is there is no cruise set light on the dash to know if I got the sweet spot...
There should be an indicator light above the temp gauge that comes on when Cruise is engaged.
PXL_20220211_124820051.jpg
PXL_20220211_124820051.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1578 times
-Brian