Shudder/jerking

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Toybox06
Scoobytruck Lurker

Shudder/jerking

Post by Toybox06 »

Began to notice a few oddities last week and then today it started becoming much more pronounced. Initially I would notice a small jerk when backing out of a parking space felt like I ran over a small stick or 2. Another time around 35 mph I would felt it buck as I lightly throttled in going around some soft corners. (Lightly read that as the same the car would if cruise was set) it today it began chugging and bucking anytime I would apply light throttle in the 35-45 mph range and if I held it just right it would continue to buck foe a few moments until it shifted and it went away. I noticed if I drove in 3 it never happens. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the lock up of the converter. My question is has anyone else experienced this phenomenon and what was the outcome? Is this the conveyer itself or is the solenoid the more common issue? My mechanic mentioned it could be something as simple as a coil dropping out under light load. I thought maybe a dirty fuel filter. The last thing I want to do is pull the trans out again spend money on a converter just to find it was something else.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Shudder/jerking

Post by ZUBAJA »

One of my Foresters was acting like that. ended up being bad plug wires. Try parking it in a dark place and observing under the hood while it is running. Listen for "snaps". Look for any arcing. If possible, try lightly misting the plug wires and coil with a spray bottle. Dennis
Toybox06
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Shudder/jerking

Post by Toybox06 »

ZUBAJA wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:11 am One of my Foresters was acting like that. ended up being bad plug wires. Try parking it in a dark place and observing under the hood while it is running. Listen for "snaps". Look for any arcing. If possible, try lightly misting the plug wires and coil with a spray bottle. Dennis
As of this morning I am very confident it is ignition as the problem has gotten worse and changed. It is now randomly misfiring at idle and and under light acceleration. I did plugs and wires but not the coil. But I will look and listen for the snap of an arc. Just in case my wires went bad. Thank you for your input!