2003 Subaru Baja CV Axles after 2" lift

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Lune
Scoobytruck Contributer

2003 Subaru Baja CV Axles after 2" lift

Post by Lune »

My son has a Subaru Baja that we have lifted with a kit very similar to (if not this exactly) this. We have also replaced his shocks all the way around with stock 06 shocks which add about 1" of lift.

The problem that we are having is that the CV axles are popping out transaxle side. We are trying to find a solution and I'm looking for help. I am a bit out of my wheelhouse on this one. I don't know if there is an aftermarket solution for this but I think that would be preferable as that is the most likely solution to keep costs down. The shop we have the car at says that a severe duty replacement part wont work as it is made to fit the same dimensions and what we need is an axle that is actually longer. So the ones I am finding on 1a auto I'm sure are good but likely will not work for our application.

There is a shop in town that I understand will modify an axle for us. I'm guessing this is expensive work but they are closed until Monday so I can't talk to them to find out.

It has also been suggested to me that I find a way to research an axle that is slightly longer from another vehicle that will fit. But I don't know how to do that myself and so far have come up short with finding anyone able to do so for me.

I'm really pretty lost on this one and could use any direction anyone could offer. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: 2003 Subaru Baja CV Axles after 2" lift

Post by ZUBAJA »

If you did a 2'' lift spacer kit AND the 06 spring / strut conversion, you may have gone 3'' on your lift. If you lift too much, you need to get the kit that LOWERS the drivetrain (engine / cradle, transmission front and rear control arms / driveshaft carrier bearing and rear cradle). This puts CV angles back to where they should be. I thought the inners CV stubs were pinned, but maybe that's just on the Foresters. Dennis
Lune
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Lune »

Yep. It is a 3" lift with the struts. (more with tires, actually). I thought they were pinned as well but the shop the car is at right now seems to indicate that they were not and that they popped out. Maybe it was different on 03s? I will plan on asking them about that when I talk to them next.

Regarding the engine lowering kit do you have a link to such a kit? I had heard about this before but don't know where to look to find it or what to search by.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

i don't have a link, but a search of "lifted Baja" or similar should lead to videos of installation of the better kits with the engine lowering brackets. Dennis
Lune
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Lune »

So this is the diagram that I am looking at and I do not actually see a pin. So maybe there isn't a pin?
https://www.subaruparts.com/v-2003-suba ... and-joints

And videos are good if I am doing this work myself. I may do that if it isn't beyond my capabilities. But I still would need to get the parts that drop the engine lower. That is what I have had trouble finding.

Right now I am investigating places that will modify the axles that we have to make them longer. There are places that do it and with my son only being interested in some light offroading I doubt he would put enough strain to damage spliced axles. Its really the balancing that would need to be done right to my understanding. The problem is that the place that I thought would do it locally only does driveshafts. The other places I found are out of state and are going to be expensive shipping.
Lune
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Lune »

Hm. This one does show that it was pinned.
https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2003_ ... 80-02.html

Guess I need to go find that out. I am assuming that you are bringing this up because you are wonder how it popped out if it was pinned? That I guess is my question. I mean with the lift in the car drove fine with the axles, no clicking or anything. It had the problem all at once. It still seemed like it was within tolerance but perhaps close to the edge of tolerance. I'm no expert on this, just operating off personal experience.
Lune
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Lune »

So I guess I was mistaken about the purpose that the pin serves. I thought that it stops the inner shaft from coming out of the transaxle. That isn't what it does apparently? The shop tells me that it snapped the pin and that will happen again if they put these axles back in. The driveshaft place says that they will do the work if they can have just the axles without the CVs on them. The problem then is finding someone to take apart the CVs and put them back together after the axle shafts are lengthened. I am not confident doing that work myself. I'm sure I can manage to get it apart but from what I understand when you remove the shaft the bearings and such inside the CVs tend to fall apart and are difficult to put back together without the correct tools and experience. I'm sure I have neither.

I'm also not sure how much the axle shaft has to be lengthened. Or how to find out. Or who to have find out for me. But I'm sure the driveshaft place is going to need this information to do the work.
Alexis
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Alexis »

I'm in a similar situation, just lifted my '03 Baja with a 2" kit plus multi link spacers in the rear from ADF and "04 springs/struts for another 1". currently looking for a new set of CV axles since one gave out today and was wondering if its worth trying to get longer replacements or if i should go with the earlier suggestion of lowering the drivetrain since the subframe is already lowered