Front Rotor 2020 Choices

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Front Rotor 2020 Choices

Post by BajaTim »

I’ve searched thoroughly, including NASIOC interchangeability and see that MULTIPLE Subaru front rotors with different part numbers will work. Source Subaru has WRX fronts (that will fit, NASIOC) for $53/rotor + shipping ($73 for Baja fronts - different part #).

I had Powerstop drilled/slotted installed in July 2017 - but rotors warped as my Baja sat from Jan. to August (engine replaced in August) - so I’m a bit leery of re-ordering Powerstop.

I put EBC rear slotted with red pads on my MINI in May and that has worked out great (break-in period of 1,000 miles w/o hard braking a bit of a hassle). I would get those if they were in $50/per range (what I paid for MINI) - but can’t find them under $90 someting/per.

I have a mechanic friend who can back me up if I eff up the install (as he did with my MINI - effing $6 caliper boot:) and I pay him $50/hr. so I’m not against getting safe “cheapies” and replacing them every 2 years - altho I would prefer “quality” (but has to be a bargain).

Any 2020 thoughts or recs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Front Rotor 2020 Choices

Post by 06Suparu »

Ive never heard of rotors warping from sitting. I would check the caliper slides and pistons. I have always found those issues from my Subarus sitting for long periods.
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Good point - I does seem illogical. Driving slowly at 5 mph there is a barely audible scraping sound from passenger front...brakes shudder when breaking from 65 mph on hwy (not in town at 30-40). I did spray rotors with brake cleaner & wiped the rotors with clean cloth before first drive with new engine.

Ok - I’ll check to see calipers are sliding freely then.

Thanks!

BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

I=it

Nibbs
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Nibbs »

I just put on Bosch 48011475 QuietCast - $51 each from Mr. Bezos. If you're in his club, he ships for free.

Note that I've changed a lot of brake rotors (not for a mechanic, but for a civilian), and I had trouble with the Subaru rotors because they didn't feel like they were 'on'. There's no set screw to hold them, so they cant/tilt as you put the caliper mount back on. I thought I didn't have them on all the way, and proceeded to spend the next 1.5 hours trying to fix the situation by cleaning off the hub with a dremel, etc. I thought it was a rust issue. It was a me issue. The second rotor went on just fine.

The Baja is 15 years old with 160K - This is its first set of new rotors. I got no complaints. The Honda Odyssey? Check the pads and change the rotors. Bedding in pads didn't help. Going to larger rotors didn't help. We're now seeing if selling it and driving a Kia helps.
~Nibbs
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

06Suparu wrote:Ive never heard of rotors warping from sitting. I would check the caliper slides and pistons. I have always found those issues from my Subarus sitting for long periods.
Well you were right - not warped. Found a “do 10 X 60-20 mph hard stops to “clean” front rotors” thread somewhere - and it worked. No more shudder on hwy braking and no more scraping in parking lots @ <5 mph. Image And I have a set of OEM front rotors & pads ready to go when these Powerstops do give outImage

06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

BajaTim wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 pm
06Suparu wrote:Ive never heard of rotors warping from sitting. I would check the caliper slides and pistons. I have always found those issues from my Subarus sitting for long periods.
Well you were right - not warped. Found a “do 10 X 60-20 mph hard stops to “clean” front rotors” thread somewhere - and it worked. No more shudder on hwy braking and no more scraping in parking lots @ <5 mph. Image And I have a set of OEM front rotors & pads ready to go when these Powerstops do give outImage
Ive done that before lol. I think it may come back again. The hard stopping just forced whatever was stuck to stick in a new spot. I would still pull the calipers and grease the slides and squeeze the pistons in with c-clamps to be sure they move freely.

BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

I’ll give it a go! Thnx.

06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

Im not sure why my post attached like that lol. Ive had to pull calipers off and clamp the slide in a vise just to get them loose.
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Yeah - it took me a while to find what u wrote. I’m not a mechanic - my last (& first) brake job - rear rotors on my MINI where I did clean & lube calipers - took me 3 months - MINI has these stupid rotor screws which are almost impossible to get out & then “torn caliper boot” , then try & install “caliper kit” - I should have just bought refurbished (they were like $120 ea.). I’m assuming these fronts will be easier:)