Weird "clunk" when turning.

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

conkatonk
Scoobytruck Lurker

Weird "clunk" when turning.

Post by conkatonk »

I have this odd "clunk" sound that comes from somewhere under the vehicle when making turns. I have replaced the CV Joints on both sides so I believe I can eliminate those as the cause. I also made sure to have adequate transmission fluid with a clean filter.

Could the differentials being causing this clunking issue? It does NOT happen when driving straight, reverse, cycling gears, so I do not believe the transmission is at fault.

I am thinking in this order to eliminate the cause.

1. Replace front/back diff fluid
2. Wheel bearings?
3. ... Idk help please?

I appreciate your reading this and any input you may have.

UPDATE *(1030am 3Oct2020)*: Changed the differential fluid and made the vehicle smoother but still the same thunking/shuddering sound when turning either direction.
UPDATE *(1135am 3Oct2020)*: Found out that I need new tires and they could be the culprit to my issues.
UPDATE *(0852 4Oct2020)*: Got new tires, going to inspect under the vehicle while it's up on jacks to see if I can locate the issue.

Next step is wheel bearings.
conkatonk
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Weird "clunk" when turning.

Post by conkatonk »

UPDATE: THE ISSUE IS RESOLVED.

CAUSE OF THE "CLUNKING" WAS CAUSED BY TIRES THAT WERE NOT WITHIN A CERTAIN LIMIT OF ONE ANOTHER. I LEARNED TODAY ABOUT THE SUBARU.
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

I'm not that mechanically inclined but a clunk, due to tire pressure, seems weird.

Thanks for the update.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

He's probably talking about size (wear), not pressure. If all 4 tires are "linked" together, a slightly different size makes that tire rotate slightly slower that the others and this can cause oises in the flex coupling (or the other coupling used in automatics (don't remember exact name right now). This is why it is critical to replace tires as a set on Subarus. Dennis
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. I could see where that may cause some strange noises.
conkatonk
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by conkatonk »

UPDATE 8OCT2020 0845 : Clunking is still there, seems to be worse when the vehicle is warmed up after a drive. I will be checking all mounts and joints this weekend.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Is your Baja an automatic, or a stick shift. Is the clunk more pronounced when something like backing out of a driveway and turning? I say this because I had an 06 Forester. This is what, and when it was most pronounced. After replacing what I thought was the sloppy CV axle, and this NOT solving the problem, I found out about the clutch pack (again, can't remember the $5.00 Subaru name -Torque divider? ). This was an AUTOMATIC transmission. My Forester had a fuse under the hood that you could pull and it deactivated the AWD system. This made the car FWD only, and caused the noise / clunk to quit. The cure was changing the transmission fluid and adding FORD limited slip differential additive. The FORD additive was a SUBARU recommendation. Dennis
Farmgirl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Farmgirl »

I recently bought a 2006 Bajawith a manuel transmission which has the exact same issue. When the car has been driven for 10-15 minutes there will be a severe clunking/binding sound when turning at low speeds. Left or right, forward or reverse. I actually bought a used transmission and replaced the original but the problem has not changed. The Subaru dealer and my local transmission shop still believe the problem is in the transmission. The Subaru dealer specifically believes the problem is in the transfer case. They suggest I buy another used transmission and try again. Has anyone encoutered this mystery?