Exhaust system

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

catzodellamarina
Scoobytruck Lurker

Exhaust system

Post by catzodellamarina »

One of the things that parked my Baja was the need for an entire exhaust system. Parts and install = $2000. And that is for a bone stock replacement system. Nothing exciting, nothing better, no performance. That's crazy! The muffler shop told me they are required to order replacement exhaust system parts or face a big fine.

Perhaps I am over simplifying my thinking, but back when I had muscle cars, a dual exhaust system was easy to fabricate and afford. I had aluminized headers and duals/turbos on the 69' Camaro for well under $2K. Also, the rule was if they did not see a converter, then they did not replace it. My 75' Malibu Classic and 77' 442 were missing their cats and never did a shop try to replace them. I even had straight dual pipes installed on my 94' Dakota V8 from the cat back - custom bent and designed in the shop. They did not force a stock muffler down my throat.

I would like to know how do guys who customize their exhaust get around this? I have seen pics of Baja exhaust that is snorkel and side exit.
At this point, I would be happy to replace my exhaust system for $900 or even $1K and get MY choice of muffler. Like a better flowing turbo that does not sound like angry bees. Also, is there a way these days you can run w/o a cat and disable any sensors?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Exhaust system

Post by Guacamole »

Your post history is a little confusing, do you have an NA or a Turbo?

If it's a turbo, that is why the cost is so astronomical even with aftermarket parts. For the downpipe, cats and catpipe you can pull those off a 2005-2008 Forester XT as it's the exact same engine. The catback midpipe and muffler will have to be off another Baja or Bosal aftermarket parts unless you modify the whole system and weld new mounting points to the frame (Walker makes an aftermarket midpipe too but Bosal is the only one making Baja mufflers).
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/sub ... nator,5872
The Bosal part numbers are 283773 for the midpipe and 229001for the muffler (rockauto also lists 229081, this is a new muffler and I'm not familiar with it as it was not available when I replaced the exhaust on my 06 NA).

If it's an NA, the same midpipe and muffler are fine and you'll just need a downpipe and a new catpipe. Downpipe Bosal part is 750127. I've not replaced my catpipe so I can't in good faith recommend one. Either way, your cat is going to be the most expensive part of the exhaust. If you're looking for better performance, maybe consider a performance model.
Of course, if you're in CA or NY, you're legally going to have to go stock.
Also, is there a way these days you can run w/o a cat and disable any sensors?
No, because that's illegal on the Federal level.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Shop around to different shops and let them know what you want.

Laws have changed since the 70s. It's a federal crime and hefty fine for a shop to remove/bypass/disable emissions systems nowadays. Not that it's legally allowed for others but less chance of getting caught or prosecuted.

As Guac mentioned, some answers depend on if you have a turbo or not and exactly how "full system" you want to go. Parts back is going to be a lot more than a cat-back.

Quiet exhaust is going to be more expensive than a performance exhaust unless you do a walker-bosal system which may or may not sound good and may rot out in <5yrs.

my solution involves having a lift and a welder but that isn't available to everyone.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
catzodellamarina
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by catzodellamarina »

Mine is a non-turbo sport.
Everything from down pipe to tail needs replaced. Thanks for the part #'s. I feel like I need to start collecting piece by piece so the bleeding of my wallet is not so noticeable. The price of the cat did not surprise me. The muffler was more of a shock. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for a stock replacement.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

catzodellamarina wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:12 am Mine is a non-turbo sport.
Everything from down pipe to tail needs replaced. Thanks for the part #'s. I feel like I need to start collecting piece by piece so the bleeding of my wallet is not so noticeable. The price of the cat did not surprise me. The muffler was more of a shock. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for a stock replacement.
If $100 for a fitted muffler is a shock, I guess you haven't replaced exhaust parts in a few decades? it may also just be that the shop thinks your car (being an import) will be hard to work on or you as a customer will complain and are padding the price to get you to go away. It hurts exactly nobody to get additional quotes.

As mentioned, we don't know where you are, laws do vary by state and region. Generally, the more blue an area is (coasts and cities) the more restrictive they are. If you live somewhere with Cali emissions (west coast or northern part of the east coast) you may have to use cali approved cats but the rest of the system just has to pass max sound tests.

$2k for Subaru parts (and labor) probably isn't too far off. If they're aftermarket parts, they're either getting raped by their supplier or making a ton though.

Granted these are dubious, not-stainless parts but Rockauto has the whole system available and it'd be $696 inc tax, shipped to my door. Throw another $20 at new stainless nuts and bolts from the local HW store for some of the joints.

Now, obviously this doesn't include labor or the shops profit on the parts and I'm not advocating you ask the shop to do the work for $700 BUT bolting on pre-bent pipes is not exactly rocket science we're talking about. If they're using pre-made parts, it shouldn't take more than 3-4 hrs to put them all on the baja. even at $100/hr shop prices you see where I'm going with this (and the Baja exhaust is super easy to work on. no fishing pipes over axles or around tight spaces)

-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
STEVEW
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by STEVEW »

I just replaced my entire exhaust with a UEL header all stainless for about $850 all in parts and labor