Good afternoon. New to forums. I’m in dire nDoes anyone know if the Legacy gt engine can be easily swapped into my Baja.

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Good afternoon. New to forums. I’m in dire nDoes anyone know if the Legacy gt engine can be easily swapped into my B

Post by 06Suparu »

I swapped in an Outback engine into my 06 Baja. I had to use the Baja intake. I also had to drill and tap the drivers side head for the EGR tube.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Good afternoon. New to forums. I’m in dire nDoes anyone know if the Legacy gt engine can be easily swapped into my B

Post by mike-tracy »

Needs more details, is your Baja a turbo? Is the Legacy GT a turbo also? Are none of the mentioned cars turbo? What year legacy GT? Are you talking about American market cars?
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

Good point. Mine is not a turbo.
2004bajaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2004bajaja »

My Baja is a non turbo. So I bought a turbo legacy GT to swap the engine over. The legacy GT is 2007. I plan to swap the rear subframe and diff over also. I hope it all fits
The legacy GT is an automatic and my Baja is a 5 speed manual transmission.
I’d appreciate any and all help I can get.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

They all bolt right in but the wiring is 0% compatible as is.

Unless you are a wiring guru, it's not going to happen and you need to contact a company such as

https://www.iwireservices.com/

and give them the details about your car and the engine you want to swap right in. Expect to spend $1200+ for the wiring alone.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
2004bajaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2004bajaja »

Could I just swap over all wiring from the legacy GT into the Baja? I wonder if the entire dash could fit? Hmm. I’m a sucker for punishment.
The legacy GT has far less rust than the Baja. I don’t need the legacy. I already have a wrx. The utilitarian use of the Baja is what I like and the potential to be awesome to awesomest.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

I've never heard of anyone swapping dashes over to accomplish that particular swap.

In the past, people have swapped 2002-2007 WRX or STI dashes and full wiring harness over into older imprezas or legacys. Nothing fits properly, none of the wiring lines up or is the same coloring.

Can you do it? If you can fabricate and weld, can delve deep into factory service manuals, make extensive wiring modifications and troubleshoot the inevitable issues that come up (with no support since you're breaking new ground here), then yes. It can be done.

If you want to make sure it is a successful build, contact Iwire, you send them your under-dash and the new engine's under dash harness, they do the merge and send it back. The new harness is plug and play with your car and new turbo engine. Everything in the car works.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
2004bajaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2004bajaja »

Ok. Seriously need help, suggestions, direction.
I really want to do this seemingly I’m-Robles thing.
Can I swap over entire wiring harness from a 2007 legacy GT into my 2004 Baja and get it running like it was in the legacy???????
I don’t know the enormity of it but I’m willing to do it.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

First question I would ask would be "How much of this type stuff have you done before?" Have you pulled engines and transmissions? What about electrical? We're talking about complete electrical system from one year to 3 years newer. You are going to run into all kinds of complications (this is why someone advised the custom made wiring harness. Dennis
2004bajaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2004bajaja »

Ok. I’ve been advised.
What about a 2005 outback XT swap into the 2004 Baja? Would that be better
dease42
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dease42 »

2005 - 2009 Outback XT and Legacy GT are essentially the same car - some suspension spacers, minor differences, but engine/trans/etc is the same. That said, both are different from the Baja. The Baja (03 - 06) is closer to the PREV gen outbacks and legacies then the 05-09's. In short, the Baja is a "Generation 3" Subaru, while the Legacy GT and Outback XT are "Generation 4"s.

For example: my 05 Baja has a motor and transmission from a 03 Legacy - dropped right in, no wiring needed.
I've also owned an 05 Legacy GT and currently I'm rebuilding an 07 LGT from the 05 (blown motor) - I've still got the 05's tranny in the garage. Trust me, they are VERY different beasts.

If you really want to do it, you're going to need:
- Extensive research / knowledge on the engine - vacuum diagrams, wiring diagrams, piping routing.. etc.
- Complete donor car - ECU, Wiring Harness, TCU, possible hardlines.
- Fabrication experience / access - I promise, something won't fit and you'll have to fab a bracket.
- Tuner / Custom Tuning - and whatever pricing you see online, double it - this is a custom shot for sure.
- The patience of a saint..
- $$$$$ (or access to a free, populated, junkyard, free beer and lots of buddies)

Fun project, but not simple. I understand the desire though.. I really want to put the Legacies 5EAT together with the Baja's old NA engine, instead of the 4-speed in there now.. but that will remain a dream for a bit!

Good luck if you decide to follow through, and keep us posted.. If you want more information on the Legacy GT / Outback XT, I highly recommend https://www.legacygt.com - huge resource for the Legacies and Outbacks.
2004bajaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2004bajaja »

#dease42
I respect and appreciate your insight. Thank you. Necessity is the mother of invention. Thank you. I hope I can count on you for direction.
DocSemtex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DocSemtex »

I’ve swapped an OBXT into a Baja. In addition, I turned the 4EAT into a 5MT from the donor OBXT. (Because 4.44 with 378ftlbs on it is so much fun.) I would advise against a transmission swap. It would require you to modify or swap the wiring harness behind the dash. That is, you will be removing everything to the firewall in order to turn an AT to MT or MT to AT. Also, you will need a different ABS module. One is unique to ATs and the other MTs.
As far as your engine goes, I fit the LGT manifold on with the turbo and TMIC from the outback. However, I used a forester manifold harness for connection plug compatibility and location and modified as necessary.
Well, here is a shot prior to tuning while tying up the the last few tidbits (e.g., plumbing, wiring, battery.) I’ve since cleaned it up a bit.
Attachments
813158A4-0439-42C8-B357-B712F87C27D2.jpeg
813158A4-0439-42C8-B357-B712F87C27D2.jpeg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 17600 times
05BT5MT 128k sorta stock. Kinda.
06BT5MT “212k”; 8.5:1/E85/28psi; AWIC; RA1-4/LGT 5th; SureTrack LSDs; Haltech
2004bajaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2004bajaja »

Wow. I hope I’m as successful as you were. I’ve almost finished stripping the interior harness from the GT. 5 hours so far. Under the dash is next. Maybe another 5 hours. My plans is to have the harness in the Baja and as I strip the Baja I connect the GT harness. Like a side by side thing sap I’ll know where everything goes pretty much.
I nee an intercooler. I want to try going front mounted as I don’t have a hood with a scoop. It would be great if the LGT hood can fit the Baja. How much for your radiator?
Thank you for the encouragement. Much appreciated.