05 Radio

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

deepnsteep
Scoobytruck Lurker

05 Radio

Post by deepnsteep »

I have an 05 Baja with the am/fm single disc radio that only works intermittently. It seems like only the rear speakers come on when it's hot outside...like 85 degrees plus. However I've only had it for a few weeks so I don't know what will happen when it get really cold. Are there any common areas to look for connection problems? Would this Baja have an antenna amplifier? If so where is it? Any other common problems?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: 05 Radio

Post by Guacamole »

It is all too common for the original stock speakers to just die now at their age. I had only one working when I purchased my 06.
Guide on how to remove the door panel if you want to DIY it (it's Outback but this generation is exactly the same as the Baja):
https://youtu.be/kNG4HGitSe8

Only other Baja/Subaru-specific common problems are broken CV joints and headgasket failure, the latter is much rarer if you have a Turbo due to difference in the gasket material. I don't think any baja ever had an amplifier.
deepnsteep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: 05 Radio

Post by deepnsteep »

Thank you for the reply! I'll have a look. I did the head gaskets already, but thanks for the heads up on the Cv joints. I'll keep an eye on them!