WTB Original Baja bike rack

Marketplace for Subaru Baja & Brat related things. Vehicles, accessories, eBay auctions...

Moderators: mikenmel08, 03ClassicYellow

2004baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

WTB Original Baja bike rack

Post by 2004baja »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any leads on an original bike rack for the Baja's? I have struck out looking on ebay so far.

Thanks,
Andy
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Re: WTB Original Baja bike rack

Post by SoobyToo58 »

They sure are hard to find! I think I've only seen one on eBay in the last three years and I'm on eBay poking around for various things almost everyday.
If you're good with building and fixing things and you're also creative, it really wouldn't be all that hard to make one. A local metal shop would be an advantage as well as simple welding skills and a cheap welder. You could use some parts from a used bike rack and fabricate the other pieces to make your own. They're not complicated at all.
One thing I'm terrible at is computers. I have a few photos which could help you but I don't have a clue how to add photos to my response here.
If someone could fill me in with simple and explicit step by step instructions on how to post photos here, I could post some and you'd see how simple it would be to replicate an OEM Baja bike rack.
2004baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2004baja »

Thanks Scooby too. I just ended up buying a swagman patrol bike rack and two Yakima wheelhouse to mount on it. It's relatively similar looking.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Would you post a pic when you're done? This is something I'm interested in too
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

mike-tracy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:10 pm Would you post a pic when you're done? This is something I'm interested in too
If you're asking me, you would need to give me step by step instructions on how to add photos here. I don't have a clue how to do it.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

SoobyToo58 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:27 am
mike-tracy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:10 pm Would you post a pic when you're done? This is something I'm interested in too
If you're asking me, you would need to give me step by step instructions on how to add photos here. I don't have a clue how to do it.

Are you using a phone or Computer? Because computer is going to be way easier to upload pictures.
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2004baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2004baja »

I'll try posting what ended up doing. The Swagman can't be bolted on so that is a big difference. We'll see how it is after a few month's of use.
Attachments
159320703729394553889.jpg
159320703729394553889.jpg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 28704 times
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Thank you 2004Baja.

Soobytoo58, I'd like to see yours as well.

The basic idea behind posting pictures is opening an account on a free image hosting website. You upload your pictures to that website, then copy the "BBS code" link for each picture into the thread here.

I use Imgur, and I don't mind posting them for you if you want to email them to me. Let me know and I'll private message you my email.
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

mike-tracy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:51 pm Thank you 2004Baja.

Soobytoo58, I'd like to see yours as well.

The basic idea behind posting pictures is opening an account on a free image hosting website. You upload your pictures to that website, then copy the "BBS code" link for each picture into the thread here.

I use Imgur, and I don't mind posting them for you if you want to email them to me. Let me know and I'll private message you my email.
Sure, send me your email address and I'll send you the photos and you can post them here. Just so you know, I never said that I owned a Subaru bike rack. I only said that I have photos.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Long ago there was a bike rack thread - but that seems to have vanished.

Anyway, here is the easy do it yourself rack with a 2x4, some turnbuckles, and some fork mounts. I made this back in 2005 when I bought the car and still use it today... though it could use a little sprucing up.

mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

These are from Soobytoo58, the first part is the OEM Baja bike rack:

Installed:

Assembled, off the car:

Installation instructions:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/brandspo ... 0ls400.pdf

And here is the roof mounted bike kit from subaru, It isn't listed as being compatible with the Baja, anyone tried it?
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe