Sunroof issues

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

ncktuley1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Sunroof issues

Post by ncktuley1 »

So my baja has been running pretty well since i put a refreshed engine in it, but something new has come up. The sunroof started out to where it would vent up & close & open up, but it wouldnt close. Now the sunroof will still open just fine, but it wont close or vent open anymore. I've tested the switches with my multimeter & those are fine. Im starting to wonder if maybe the relay for it is bad. My question is, is where is the relay? Is it part of the motor itsself or is it somewhere else?
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Sunroof issues

Post by ZUBAJA »

There is a "module" attached to the motor that apparently makes the safety function where you go to close it, it moves a few inches, stops, and you hit the switch again and it closes all the way. from my internet searches about my own problems with this, the modules go bad and are part of the motor assembly ( I have been fortunate enough that I managed to get mine closed each time it didn't want to.
There is also a "fairy tale" story out there (and in the owners manual) about using an emergency handle to manually close it, but I was only able to do this after I removed the motor.
I plan to "neuter" my sunroof by eliminating the moodule and running the wires direct (I hope). When I get around to this, I will post details. Dennis
ncktuley1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ncktuley1 »

Damn, thats kinda what i figured. I did find that if you pull the lights & switches off of the roof, you can manually close it with a 5mm allen wrench. I guess ill start looking into what i need to do to hardwire it. Either that or ill take my chances with a junkyard motor
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Yeah, but I couldn't get the "5 mm allen" deal to work until I removed the motor. I was afraid I was going to break something. Dennis
Goodhand
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Goodhand »

I was able to adjust mine with a torx driver, T30 or T27, something like that. Be weary, my motor was making noise and not working prior to this, and now it does not work or make noise. I believe I broke it internally. Now I'm looking for a new motor, but I may take it apart and try to "remanufacture" it for myself.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

ZUBAJA wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:12 am There is a "module" attached to the motor that apparently makes the safety function where you go to close it, it moves a few inches, stops, and you hit the switch again and it closes all the way. from my internet searches about my own problems with this, the modules go bad and are part of the motor assembly ( I have been fortunate enough that I managed to get mine closed each time it didn't want to.
There is also a "fairy tale" story out there (and in the owners manual) about using an emergency handle to manually close it, but I was only able to do this after I removed the motor.
I plan to "neuter" my sunroof by eliminating the moodule and running the wires direct (I hope). When I get around to this, I will post details. Dennis
Gee, it only took me almost a year :roll:. I took the sucker out. What an engineering nightmare. There is a circuit board with a relay and another little box. There is also a cam plate driven by the motor that works 3 different micro switches. This has to be what controls the motor stopping when the roof is open or closed. I believe one of them also controls the vent position. I have a good hour and a half invested screwing around with it having the unit and switches out of the car and direct wired to a battery. I have yet to figure out exactly how it works, or get it to work consistently. Going to try to get either a Legacy or Outback motor tomorrow (I know Outbacks have dual motors, but now that mine is out, I can take pics for comparison. I will post pics tomorrow too. Dennis
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

You guys just revealed another problem I have. My sun roof opens fine, but when I close it, it goes a few inches then stops, hit the switch again and it closes all the way. I'm still trying to find something that worked correctly on my Baja.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

harleyjohn45 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 pm You guys just revealed another problem I have. My sun roof opens fine, but when I close it, it goes a few inches then stops, hit the switch again and it closes all the way. I'm still trying to find something that worked correctly on my Baja.
John, that's a safety feature that all Subaru sunroofs have, so children's (or even adult's) hands don't get caught in there when closing.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Here's pictures of the sunroof motor. It seems to only allow 3, so I will make a separate post.
Top view small gear drives spring =like cable that moves
Top view small gear drives spring =like cable that moves
DSCN1667.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 39557 times
Bottom view hole in center is a hex key hole for manually opening or closing roof.  Dome light fixture must be removed first (yes, it's dumb)
Bottom view hole in center is a hex key hole for manually opening or closing roof. Dome light fixture must be removed first (yes, it's dumb)
DSCN1666.JPG (2.62 MiB) Viewed 39557 times
top view with covers removed showing cam gear (white)
top view with covers removed showing cam gear (white)
DSCN1664.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 39557 times
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

top view of sunroof motor with covers and cam gear removed showing micro switches. Circuit board is to right. White box seems to be relay.
Green is plug going to switches, black box is ??? Maybe reversing relay??? It seems to function where the switch powers it up and latches "on".
The cam / micro switch interrupts the circuit for the safety feature or fully closed, fully open, or vent mode. (as best as I can figure)
DSCN1665.JPG
DSCN1665.JPG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 39556 times
I scarfed a motor from a Legacy sedan today. Cost 16.00 + 3.00 core. I hope it's good. I can do a step by step R&R if folks would like
Dennis
Reddog
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Reddog »

Here's wiring diagram for sunroof. Definitely let us know how it goes.
sun.jpg
sun.jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 39537 times
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Thank you for the schematic. It only took me about an hour and a half to take things apart and come up with that on a sheet of paper by tracing wires (I also drew up a schematic for inside the module box).
Wish ANY of it helped.
Originally, when working correctly, push the open button back and it opened. Push it forward and it closed partially, push it again and it closes completely. That's they way it is SUPPOSED to work. I never really used the tilt / vent option (didn't know what it was - I figured "up and down" were for the antenna (WRONG).
Currently, it seems to do whatever it wants. I have to mess with the up and down button, and then it will open. Push close, and it closes almost all the way, and I have to finish closing it with the up - down button. I have 2 motor / module assemblies, my original, and one I took from a Legacy sedan yesterday. I have 2 sets of switches. I can swap any of it around and I get the same results. I went so far as removing the entire headliner to see if maybe there was another micro switch in the track I didn't know about. There isn't. I did find that I have a rust issue in the R/R corner of my roof under the cargo rail :roll:. I also wanted to pull the headliner to clean it. The P.O. hauled a bunch of little kids and a dog around the the headliner was very dirty. Some spot cleaning seems to indicate it will clean up okay.
Oh, did I mention that it rained today :shock:. Fortunately, I had the roof all in the closed position before that started.
I will post pics of what I did in case it helps someone else.
right side track
right side track
DSCN1669.JPG (2.48 MiB) Viewed 39530 times
center track with motor
center track with motor
DSCN1670.JPG (2.71 MiB) Viewed 39530 times
left side track
left side track
DSCN1671.JPG (2.55 MiB) Viewed 39530 times
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

...and out of the blue today my sunroof won't close. It opens just fine. :|
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

So after I put it in, it still worked wonky. Drove it to work Tuesday, and the sunroof seemed to work normal - tried it 3 times. Push open, it opens. Push close, it closes a couple of inches, push again, and it closes. What the... Then I put my right window down, and it went down, and wouldn't go back up :evil:. These electrical accessories are in cahoots with each other. Traced the window issue to a bad connection in the drivers master switch.
Now the sunroof is back on the fritz. I did find that if i wiggle the green plug (where the switches plug into the module), it seems to work. Might be a bad solder joint in there. Will come back out this week or next weekend.

JAXED: I do find that if I work BOTH switches, it will usually work. Give that a try. At least you will now have an idea of what's inside there. Dennis
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

mike-tracy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:16 pm
harleyjohn45 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 pm You guys just revealed another problem I have. My sun roof opens fine, but when I close it, it goes a few inches then stops, hit the switch again and it closes all the way. I'm still trying to find something that worked correctly on my Baja.
John, that's a safety feature that all Subaru sunroofs have, so children's (or even adult's) hands don't get caught in there when closing.
Thanks Mike, I was getting nervous. I'm still waiting for my mechanic to get back in town to get the new valve cover gasket installed. I think that's where the oil smell is coming from. I have not been driving it, because of the oil smell.