Anybody ever changed a speedometer

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Anybody ever changed a speedometer

Post by ZUBAJA »

What it says. My odometer won't reset and it won't go from trip A to trip B. Everything else works fine. I've seen threads on the trip reset on the internet, but no solutions. I've had the speedo out and it's not all that difficult. I'm considering getting a different speedo from a boneyard, but my 2 reservations are: I would like to be able to reset the accumulated mileage to accurately reflect my current mileage (203K+), and I have heard of some situations where trying to change speedometers and the vehicle won't start because of some kind of interface (kind of question this). Anybody? Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Anybody ever changed a speedometer

Post by kamesama980 »

It's intentionally difficult/impossible to change the Odometer reading. To keep it legal, check your state for the details but most have a provision for replacement clusters. usually it means putting a sticker in the door jamb stating the cluster's been replaced and the difference.

I don't know if Subarus have the cluster that integrated but I do not believe so given the number of engine, parts, and/or electronics changes I've read about.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Florida, loves to screw up people's vehicle value by putting "Not actual mileage" on the title. Given that, I will avoid any "Imperial entanglements" as far as my speedometer / odometer thing goes. The way I see it, I have the option of just not having a trip reset, try to find a speedometer that has a little higher mileage than mine, and when it gets close, swap them, or have the odometer professionally reset. There seem to be place online that offer that service for around 150.00. The first step will be actually pulling a speedometer and see if it will work (as in not cause some kind of ignition lockout. That was the main purpose of my asking here.
Used to have a tech at my old job who frequently reset odometers on vehicles for car lots (crooked S.O.B.), O I know it is possible. Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Eh, miles on the title don't affect the value because most people put all the miles on the car after getting the title. It only shows what the mileage was the last time it was transferred. Up here, anything over 10 years old isn't required to put the miles on the title and most DMVs won't put it in even if you give it.

As long as you don't frequently report your oil changes to carfax or put one in with less miles than before (or ridiculously less than reasonably elapsed) how would they know?
-Russell
03 sport 5mt
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

It's not the mileage on the title (here, they ask for it on the registration each year). Its the words "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE" that they put on the title that zaps value. And once it's on there, it won't go away. Almost as bad as "REBUILT" on a title.
I did do a little searching last night and I saw where at least one person swapped out a used speedometer on an 03 Outback, so getting a used one for my Baja shouldn't be an issue. There was one place doing the odometer corrections for under 100.00 with a 2 day turnaround.
What I found interesting was someone on there mentioned Bajas as having blue backlighting on the instruments, but this morning when I went to work, mine are green. Dennis
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

Can't speak to the miles on title issue, but as long as the cluster is compatible it should be a direct swap. I put in a cluster from another baja in mine fow a couple of months while I was messing with my led conversion and swapped back with no issues.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

ZUBAJA wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:20 pm It's not the mileage on the title (here, they ask for it on the registration each year). Its the words "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE" that they put on the title that zaps value. And once it's on there, it won't go away. Almost as bad as "REBUILT" on a title.
I did do a little searching last night and I saw where at least one person swapped out a used speedometer on an 03 Outback, so getting a used one for my Baja shouldn't be an issue. There was one place doing the odometer corrections for under 100.00 with a 2 day turnaround.
What I found interesting was someone on there mentioned Bajas as having blue backlighting on the instruments, but this morning when I went to work, mine are green. Dennis
sounds like w.rohr has answered the question so I'll continue down the tangent: you're the first person I've ever heard of saying they care about the miles on the title. Then again, I've only had my name on a title less than 14 years old and 100k miles twice and I've always lived in states that don't track miles driven. If the state tracks them, I can see your argument for getting them close before swapping. Lemme guess, they tax you on miles driven too?
-Russell
03 sport 5mt
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

kamesama980 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:08 am
ZUBAJA wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:20 pm It's not the mileage on the title (here, they ask for it on the registration each year). Its the words "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE" that they put on the title that zaps value. And once it's on there, it won't go away. Almost as bad as "REBUILT" on a title.
sounds like w.rohr has answered the question so I'll continue down the tangent: you're the first person I've ever heard of saying they care about the miles on the title. Then again, I've only had my name on a title less than 14 years old and 100k miles twice and I've always lived in states that don't track miles driven. If the state tracks them, I can see your argument for getting them close before swapping. Lemme guess, they tax you on miles driven too?
I just moved from Florida after living there 60 years, each year they would send me a notice that tags were due. I always sent them a check along with the name of my insurance company and policy #, I don't ever remember seeing a mileage number on any of my cars. Florida does not tax you on miles driven. I think they exempt old cars on mileage requirement. After 200k miles I suspect the value of the car would be it's condition.