New Baja break-in period

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

rabidnemo
Scoobytruck Lurker

New Baja break-in period

Post by rabidnemo »

At the dealership I was told that for the first 1,000 miles you should not rev your Baja over 4,500RPM. I'm wondering if anything bad can happen if it does occasionally rev above that, and if there is anything else you should be aware of when breaking it in.

I guess I don't know if you're supposed to "baby" it, or are allowed to drive more aggresively without causing minor damage that could show up later.

Sometimes on mine, when getting onto my nearby highway, it can downshift from 4th to 2nd if you tromp on the accelerator too hard. I get around this by using the autostick and holding it in 3rd. it's a pretty steep onramp. However, a few times it's downshifted to 2nd, and revved to about 5,500 or so .
:twisted: I'd say I've been over 4,500 about 10 times, but haven't been toooo hard on it yet. The Baja has around 500 miles on it now (bought it at 40).
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I think thats ok.... just dont rev it up to 6500 like I do daily with my GL getting on the freeway coming home from work :shock:
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

You should work the rpms up and down. Its good for seating the rings. Just don't beat the hell out of it all the time, until you have a few thousand miles on it. But some good, spirited driving is ok in my book to break it in. Just don't red line it much. And I would get the original oil out of it at 1,000 miles. Just my opinion, but it couldn't hurt it in case there is some crap in it from manufacturing. Mike