Unknown leak, what could the problem be?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bajaluv
Scoobytruck Lurker

Unknown leak, what could the problem be?

Post by bajaluv »

So I recently had my head gaskets, timing belt, and water pump replaced and also recently got the car. The car is an 06 non turbo 5speed. Before I got the car I believe it was leaking oil since it needed that big service. Since the service, I have now seen small puddles of fluid under the car 3 total times, the first 2 times I thought were oil and the third time it was certainly coolant. I'd say the fluids add to a total of about a cup. I brought the car into a Subaru dealer today, not the ones who performed the service, and they pressure tested the cooling system and found nothing abnormal and no leaks. They touched up a clamp on the lower radiator hose and replaced the radiator cap with a factory oem Subaru one, as it was a crappy corroded aftermarket one. They also cleaned the plastic splash guard under the engine and it was clean with no residue or fluid when I got it home. I drove the car today and the splash guard was again wet, so I pulled it off and took a few pictures. I have driven the car about 300 miles since I got it and since that service was done and it appears that when that service was done, coolant, and maybe oil, were spilled everywhere (there is also residue from when the engine had leaked before). To me it doesn't make much sense that what is getting the splash guard soaked and what is pooling under the car is just excess fluid spilled when the work was done or residue because the car has been driven ~300 miles since it was done. To me, it makes sense that that fluid would have worked its way all out by now. So I'm curious if anyone has had experience with anything like this or anyone has any suggestions on what they think it could be. I have included the best pictures I could get tonight with the splash guard off and plan to look at it more tomorrow. Any input and help is much appreciated
Attachments
IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2567.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 4099 times
IMG_2565.JPG
IMG_2565.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 4099 times
IMG_2564.JPG
IMG_2564.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 4099 times
bajaluv
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Unknown leak, what could the problem be?

Post by bajaluv »

Wouldn't let me add all pics I wanted to here's more
Attachments
IMG_2569.JPG
IMG_2569.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 4098 times
IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_2568.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 4098 times
IMG_2566.JPG
IMG_2566.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 4098 times
bajaluv
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajaluv »

And the last few pics
Attachments
IMG_2575.JPG
IMG_2575.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 4098 times
IMG_2572.JPG
IMG_2572.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 4098 times
IMG_2566.JPG
IMG_2566.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 4098 times
bajaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajaja »

Hello bajaluv! You stated you recently purchased the car? Do you know all that was in fact leaking at time of purchase? Just curious. And also I would start by looking over the heads mating to the block and check for leaks, check valve covers, and oil pan. (Get some brake cleaner from parts store spray down heads and valve covers then go drive; if able to get under vehicle) and My first guess would be headgaskets because you said oil and coolant, but then again it's hard to diagnose over the Internet! Possibly, return to shop where subie was serviced...if thats an option. Well, hope this steer you in some direction! Cheers,

-Bajaja

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Not sure about the oil, but the coolant could be one of the hoses on the top of the engine leaking. There are hoses that run to the heater core and into the throttle body. When I did my head gaskets, I forgot to reattach the latter ones, and thought I had a monumental coolant leak... If there doesn't appear to be any source of leak under the engine, I'd probably start looking on top.

For the oil, that could be many things... but if you're getting both, coolant and oil, that would suggest head gaskets (or block-head mating surfaces), since they touch both fluids (and you mentioned some work was done to them).