Quick Opinion NEEDED!!!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Quick Opinion NEEDED!!!

Post by Anomaly »

I recently totaled my '03 Baja and am currently looking at two '06 models... A black turbo with an automatic and 96k and a blue N/A with a standard transmission (unsure of mileage). I know little of the '06 models and would like some opinions as to which I should get. Are there known issues with either of these? Are any issues exclusive to one or the other? Are head gaskets still a problem with the '06 models?

Thanks in advance.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Quick Opinion NEEDED!!!

Post by TastyHuman »

I've had enough trouble with the automatic in my 03 to avoid them.

The NA has enough power for me, I drive from Portland OR to Olympia WA on a regular basis and maintain 75-80 all the way with no trouble at all.

Head gaskets are still an issue in all of em AFAIK. Budget accordingly.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Only difference between the 03 & 06 is the OEM height and colors, turbo models are basically the same from 04-06 as well.
Turbo models have more power than Sport/03 Classic models but slightly less gas mileage and require (or so the user manual says) 91 octane gasoline.
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Anomaly »

Can I expect different issues from the N/A to the turbo? One person told me the head gasket problems aren't as common with the turbo, but the actual turbocharger tends to have frequent problems. I'm not too worried about gas mileage or octane, but I am concerned with repair costs. I know I'd prefer the manual to an automatic, but if I can get away with not needing to do a head gasket job down the road, I'd go for the auto.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

All of them will need at some point water pumps, coolant changes, cam cover seals, pulleys, etc. eventually, not sure what the incremental cost of doing a belt at the same time would be but I can't think it would be *that* much more. If you keep an eye on oil seepage you should have plenty of notice before the gasket will be a must do item.
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Anomaly »

TastyHuman wrote:All of them will need at some point water pumps, coolant changes, cam cover seals, pulleys, etc. eventually, not sure what the incremental cost of doing a belt at the same time would be but I can't think it would be *that* much more. If you keep an eye on oil seepage you should have plenty of notice before the gasket will be a must do item.
Thanks. I was about to do the head gasket on the one that got totaled. The seepage was still light but I had the extra money, so I was just going to get it over with. So, the turbochargers themselves are fairly reliable?
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

Other turbo users will know more about this issue than me, but I keep hearing that you should definitely remove the banjo bolts on the turbo. Those tend to be the number 1 reason for turbo failure. They clog up and cause problems, so if you go with the turbo, remove those banjo bolts! A forum search here should provide good info on how to do that.