Cigarette Lighter/Power Port dead

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Cigarette Lighter/Power Port dead

Post by TastyHuman »

I was filling an air pressure tank with a small 12V compressor plugged into the lighter outlet. I've done this a few times before without an issue since the manual seems to indicate it has enough power. Well, after 30 seconds or so of operation the compressor quit. A little testing showed the lighter socket to be dead.

The manual shows one 20A fuse for the cigarette lighter and another 20A fuse for the power port. (What's the difference? Isn't there only one socket?)

Anyway, checked both fuses and they were OK. I replaced them both anyway but the socket is still dead.

Anyone seen this happen before?

Edit: Should have searched first. Another thread here indicated that the 03 Baja didn't have a socket in the back seat (but there's a fuse for it?). Also, the sockets may have a fusible link so that could have blown. Kinda dumb to have a fusible link on a fused circuit but what the heck. I'll look into that.
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Cigarette Lighter/Power Port dead

Post by Killer B »

I had the same dead cigarette lighter issue when I got my Baja. I ended up replacing the entire cigarette lighter unit a few months ago and now it works fine. I'm pretty sure my fuse link was shot because I checked my 20A fuse and it was fine.
jp233
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jp233 »

Yeah just got an 05 Baja Turbo for my dad, I found the front port dead but the fuse was fine. Lo and behold it was just unplugged at the port, likely due to an amateur stereo install and there was a bunch of RCA to Aux cord (yeah, seriously) stuck in there behind the ashtray.

Anyways I saw the little fusible link on the back side of the port, so I can see how it would fry.

Also, when it comes to 12v power ports, the first thing to check is to make sure no coins are stuck in there, shorting it out.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

I took it in to the dealer to replace the cruise control switch on the column, which had become balky, and to inspect the airbag to see if it was due for the recall. While it was there I had them replace the lighter socket and return the bad socket to me. Yep, fusible link on the back side, easy to replace. Since this is a 20A fused circuit I can't figure out why they socket has a 15A fusible link. If it happens again I'll just replace the link with heavier conductor soldered across the link terminals.