First CEL since I bought my 2003

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

RedStage
Scoobytruck Contributer

First CEL since I bought my 2003

Post by RedStage »

So I was leaving work on Friday, started the Baja and BOOM...CEL :(

Took it to autozone, they plugged in the code reader and told me the only code I had was the up stream O2 Sensor had failed. Part came in that afternoon and today (Monday) I put it in.

13 years on an O2 sensor. Hope that this is not the beginning of problems coming.

Car runs great again.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Re: First CEL since I bought my 2003

Post by Acro2pilot »

02's are a wear and tear item like brake rotors, axles, etc. They take a beating in the exhaust stream and they do fail, nothing to worry about and 13 years is pretty damn good.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

1000-1500f exhaust while the other end, just 2 inches away, is just above ambient, often getting splashed with snow and salty water, dealing with all the engine vibrations and all the burnt oil, antifreeze, and whatever might be in the gas while accurately measuring the chemical content of the exhaust as it goes by at hundreds of feet per second and sending it to the PCM as an electrical signal. Such crap that it only lasts 13 years of doing this day in day out.

And to think we get called OCD for changing the oil as often as people once rebuilt their engine.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Outlawed »

I know this has been up since May, but I recently got a CEL when driving through slushy snow to work. I had it cleared at my Jap car mech. I parked it couple days ago in some 5" snow for bout an hour. CEL again! I broke down and ordered an OBDI tool to clear the codes. My mech said it was the 02 sensor. Probably due to the snow. Engine runs fine. But, good luck staying out of the snow in Denver :(
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

What was the actual code?
Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Outlawed »

Mine was PO420 Cat Converter below threshold. I just received my OBDIII tool today. Got it off Ebay for like $18.00. Plugged it in, same code, cleared it, restarted the engine, no code. I love it when $hit works [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] It's starting to snow again. Only supposed to get a dusting (famous last words from the local weathergeek). We'll see what it does tomorrow if there is snow on the ground. I'll probably have to change it eventually, but not looking forward to it.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Same code that I intermittently get, but only when driving at a steady 80km/h with the temperature below 10 degrees C, and something to do with the alignment of the stars. Either way, after I reset the code, it's still able to pass emissions tests.