And BAJA is an acronym for....?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

teamstarter
Scoobytruck Lurker

And BAJA is an acronym for....?

Post by teamstarter »

I read that BRAT was actually a Subaru acronym for Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter.

Think they had an acronym in mind when they named the Baja? They surely didn't mean the literal Spanish definition of "short" or "low."

My guess is the suits were thinking of something like Bifurcated All-wheel drive Judicious on fuel Amalgam of car & truck. :wink:

Me, I prefer Bodaciously Accessorized Jack-of-all-trades Adventurer :!:

Others? :idea: :idea:
Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it.
su-be3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by su-be3 »

Baja=Bought A Japanese Auto.
What else do you need not to know?
Keep it under 90, folks!
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

Bad - Ass - Jack - of - All - Trades BAJA-T as the macho man would say, oooo yeah! [smilie=hellyeah.gif]
teamstarter
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by teamstarter »

Good ones! How 'bout Beats Any Jalopy Around....
Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it.
Packa
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Packa »

Baja is the Spanish word for low -- we get our world "base" from the same root. Most romance languages have similar cognates.

The Suburu Baja is named for the Baja Peninsula... which is the "lower" part of California... the expression doesn't make too much sense outside California, though. To Mexicans, the Baja Peninsula isn't lower than Mexico. Nowadays, Baja is essentially a gringo contraction of Baja Peninsula.

What's true is that the term Baja is now also synomyous with images of rogue vehicles racing across sandy, desert-like conditions with wreckless, adventurous abandon.

Hence, the association of an all-wheel-drive sport, activity vehicle with the term Baja is quite apt.
Packa
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Packa »

The name of the concept vehicle that foreshadowed the Baja and which debuted at NAIAS (North American International Auto Show) 2000 in Detroit was called ST/X (note the slash), which stood for Subaru Truck X-perimental.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/naias/subaru.html
Witchita/04 Turbo
BajaT05
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaT05 »

Packa wrote:Baja is the Spanish word for low -- we get our world "base" from the same root. Most romance languages have similar cognates.

The Suburu Baja is named for the Baja Peninsula... which is the "lower" part of California... the expression doesn't make too much sense outside California, though. To Mexicans, the Baja Peninsula isn't lower than Mexico. Nowadays, Baja is essentially a gringo contraction of Baja Peninsula.

What's true is that the term Baja is now also synomyous with images of rogue vehicles racing across sandy, desert-like conditions with wreckless, adventurous abandon.

Hence, the association of an all-wheel-drive sport, activity vehicle with the term Baja is quite apt.

I believe you nailed it....

Alex
Packa
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Packa »

You'll find some interesting quotes on the design evolution of the Baja on this thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1110872
Witchita/04 Turbo