guitar build

Talk about anything here. ANYTHING.

Moderator: cliffhanger

Should I tint the body blue, or leave it classic?

blue
67%
classic
33%

Total votes: 9

cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

guitar build

Post by cliffhanger »

So, I recently bought a lot of guitar parts to build my own guitar. Any guitarists out there? Ive got a sweeeeet swamp ash body (kinda soft though) and a maple neck w/ an ebony fingerboard. Took me hours, hours, and hours of sanding :shock: :roll: ive been oilin' it up with tung oil, only have two coats on the body, three on the neck. Ive been toying with "tints-all", b/c I don't just want a classic wood grain, I have been adding prussian blue tint, in varying ratios, to my tung oil on test wood. I want a blue wood grain looking body and classic neck. Any thoughts, yay or nay? Ive resanded the neck and applied the third coat tonight, resanded the body, trying to determine if I want to try the tints-all option. I s'pose I can add pics pretty easily if anyone is interested.
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

So, out of 18 people that viewed this, no one can decide between blue grain and natural grain? :lol: Please, I value your opinions, however horribly wrong they may be! Just looking for suggestions or alternatives... Thanks!
370 awhp
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Well Cliff, I have always been one to go with the natural wood look, but I don't know crap about guitars, so don't listen to me at all. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

the blue hue I want to add is merely aesthetic, it has no bearing on the sound, whether it is a guitar or a mandolin or whatever, Ive been thinking about making it blue since I bought it, boy the natural wood grain looks nice though! the grain will still show through with the blue, its not paint , just a tint additive to the oil Im using... thanks for your post though, I may be leaning back towards leaving it natural anyway!
370 awhp
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I just like natural wood, must be a holdover from my woodworkin days in high school. I do like wood stained, but tend to leave it plain unless I have to match a color of something else. I have seen too many wood things that are so dark that it ruins the look of the wood completely. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

well if it winds up looking anything like this - http://www.santana.com/musicianscorner/ ... /blue.html
it would be a winner.

Bob
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

is it an acoustic or an electric? I like acoustics natural or black and electrics can be colors. I'm refinishing an electric in flat black & olive.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

no, it won't look exactly like that, i have a different kind of wood... it is an electric. here is a pic of the body thus far:

I want the darker parts of the grain to have a darker blue tint, and the lighter parts... to have a lighter tint! I think I can do it, and keep the grain looking the exact same, just blue instead of 'wood'
370 awhp
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

I put the blue on yesterday afternoon, she's dry now and ready for more sanding! I'll post up pics post sanding, just so I feel better about myself.
370 awhp
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

this is the progress thus far, let me know what you think! I think I'm about ready to poly it!

370 awhp
diderich
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by diderich »

I like the blue starburst kind of thing you have going. Have you tried a little wood conditioner to even out the tone a little bit? It may not work with the dye, I've only used it with wood stain, but there may be some equivalent for tung oil. It looks like the grain didn't pick up any dye at all. So the conditioner might help with that...I'm not an expert by any means though, so I could be totally confused.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

Yeah, those aren't the best pics in the world, I don't have the best camera :P the grain in the middle picked up a little bit of the dye, you can tell when you are up close, the darker parts of the grain are darker, the lighter parts have a very faint tint... but I put the dye/oil mix really, really lightly on the middle, where for the most part I sanded it out, thicker on the outer edges. I was thinking about mixing another batch of dye/oil and reapplying to get a more even coverage, and deeper grain penetration in the middle like you were saying... but then again, what if I mess it up real bad? what if, the second time around, it turns out looking worse that it does right now? I like the way it turned out this time, there are a few spots that I like to call "character spots". Lets people know that this isn't some factory dealie, you know, I put (already) about 20 hours into this project. I think I'm just going to polyvinyl tomorrow when I get home, a couple of coats and she'll be ready for the hardware! I s'pose I would like it to look more professional, but at the same time 8)
370 awhp
diderich
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by diderich »

yeah..better is the enemy of good. Building a guitar is hard stuff. It's something every guitarist should do once. I'm still waiting my turn. It does look really good. Now you just need some naked lady pearl inlay on the neck :)
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

Might I suggest that a black pickguard would better compliment the blue?
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

oh boy, a black pickguard would look great... im sure i will change the pickguard a couple of times, just trying to get it together right now.
370 awhp