Anything Goes Thread

Talk about anything here. ANYTHING.

Moderator: cliffhanger

Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I need to be coaxed to read.... I am reading a love language book (ways to express love) and its short, but I still only seem to read a chapter or 2 at a time. Its been over a month and I havn't got more than like 5 or so chapters down.

I need to get cracking I know.... but its going to be about 10 days or so before I FINALLY get some days off and catch up with sleep and important stuff like reading that book.

Oh, and I dont have much time because I sell Kia's 60 hours a week :shock:
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

i would love to move to Colorado (or maybe Missouri) and be closer to some great "outdoorsy" places, but, unfortunately my job wont let me right now (im a mechanic in the navy, but not one of the stupid ones..) so im stuck here in virginia, which has some nice places, but still not so close.
wow, that is a whole lot for the baja to tow, glad to see yer givin her a workout!!
i prefer different trail types at different times, and usually it is the difficult, up and down, hopping over logs and skinning knees trails, but i can definitely enjoy the long trails with a good friend or relative, gives a lot of quality time to talk about, well, everything...
... and on the subject of what im reading, i tried my hand at the harry potter stuff and its not that bad, but i discovered that im a closet geek in that i like to read books about quantum theory and stuff. no romance novels for me :lol: but if its your thing...
i work on average about 75-90 hours a week, usually never get an entire weekend (have to work either sat or sun) and rarely see eight hours of sleep, but it surely teaches you how to maximize your time off (i suppose it is why i am trying so hard to kill myself with all of these extreme sports :wink: ) but im about an hour past my bedtime, so i suppose i should sign off...
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hey Cliff, what are ya fixin for the Navy? I work on Dodges at a stealership right now, but wanna get out and do somethin different. Also do most of the used car work. That parts ok, always somethin new to look at. Thats how I found my Baja, did the safety inspection on it, and fell for it hook, line and sinker during the test drive. But--I am tired of workin on cars after 23 years of it. It bores the shit out of me, and the pay sucks most of the time. So prob do somethin about it soon {I hope}. As far as readin, trains, planes, war books, I read just about anything that catches my eye. I am re-reading an old Ernie Pyle book right now, about the North African Campaign. Its good stuff, how he could write all about what was goin on, and add in info about the common soldier. We sure don't have anyone that does that kind of stuff anymore. All we see is all the bad stuff that goes on all over the world. The price we pay for instant communication!! Give me some good ole fashioned writing anyday. At least you can use your imagination a bit. Mike
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

im what is called a nuclear trained steam plant engineer, much schooling involved, but i can fix about anything that has pipes going into and out of it. i frequently cut out and weld in new valves, perform maintenance on those valves, overhaul huge centrifugal pumps, shave pump casings, steam turbine work, roll out and replacing bearings, im the resident gage expert at work, so all the new gages go through my hands (and are usually installed by me to) as well as being the mechanical seal expert. im also a pretty good handyman, so the other support equipment systems that break i can usually fix as well (as long as the book has good pics !) like air compressors and receivers. on top of all the fixing (which is definitely the most gratifying), i also operate all of the equipment on a daily basis to generate electricity and make water(i forgot about the distilling plants i run), and now i have moved into a supervisory position to teach others how to do it (i only got one steam burn last night! yippie!) and then comes the worst part of any job, the one you feel like you are doing most of the time, the cleaning. that part sucks.
370 awhp
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

[smilie=holyshit.gif] sounds like a neat job. At least you don't get bored, sounds like all kinds of stuff goin on all the time. Steam burns sounds like no fun at all though. I just get to sweat under and in cars all day. Working on a very hot engine is a pain, and standing on your head, trying to get at wiring under a dash to diagnos something is great too. It does a great job on my neck, no wonder I have to see a chiropractor to get rid of the pains. Oh well, some day I may have a normal job where I don't have to move like an eel through cars. Mike
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Well, I sit in front of a computer all day... Sometimes I wish I had a more active job. :| It's hard on my eyes.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

yeah, its for sure a fun job, but after a while its easy to become complacent, thats where the danger and steam burns come into play. always better to have a steam burn than something else though! lucky i dont scar easy, i get on average of 2 burns a week.
370 awhp
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yah, you can go blind fast lookin at this damn computer, my eyes tend to go nuts if I am on it for about 2 hours. I don't think I could handle lookin at one for 8 hours. Hey cliff, how do you get the burns anyways? Leaks in the piping or somethin else?? Mike
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Wow, the POST WHORE (ME) is up to 240. When will it end??? HE HE HEHEHEHE.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

yeah, the burns can come from steam leaks, but usually come from valves in the system just being really hot.
off to bowling tonight... just got my new ball drilled, and then time to shop for a new whitewater kayak :P
370 awhp
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

dogfish head chicory stout, newcastle brown ale, and murphy's double chocolate stout are probably my favorite beers right now... anyone else's picks?
370 awhp
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I haven't seen any of those out here in Cheeseland. I drink so few beers anymore that I usually get some type of Leinenkugels. They have all sorts of different beers. Big Butt Doppleboch is good, as is Octoberfest and Winter Ale. Not as cheap as regular stuff, but its nice to have somethin different. Mike
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

People who put up wood paneling, then paint it, then wallpaper it are tools.

[smilie=holyshit.gif]
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

omfg that is hilarious! do people really do that ... find that in your new house, huh?
370 awhp
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

Yep. They built an interior wall and didn't feel like sheetrocking. So they put up wood paneling; then decided to paint it, then decided to wallpaper. We found that on Sunday when we did our final walkthrough.