Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

Nappy Hoo Year!
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Looks like you had a few too many Cliff, I didn't even get to celebrate, I had a cold, still have the darn thing, so no new years party for me. :cry: Mike
bajabeauty

Buying a new baja 06...

Post by bajabeauty »

Okay guys...I'm new but not to Baja....I'm trading my '03 in for an '06....I want to get it just right since there is no chance of getting a new baja again...I'm going w/ Atalantic blue pearl, the homelink pkg, premiun sterio system, automatic turbo, the snug fit trunk cover to match, splash guards....what do you think? I'm going to do after market stuff to it later but this is my start...Also I want ya all's two cents on getting a full spare...what a pain in the ass to change it w/ a donut!!! My only pet peeve with this car....Any of you have ideas on how I could modify it underneath to fit a full spare...its close....take a look under yours and you'll see what I mean...I was thinking flatrun tires might fit....but then the car manual discourages a full spare underneath. I drive way to many miles to be doing this donut crap.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

good idea, definitely go turbo! i read that a full size spare did fit under someone's 04, so maybe it was just on the 03's that they won't fit? i also don't remember reading anything like that in my manual for my '05, but i tend to overlook things that say "don't" or "you can't"... good luck!
370 awhp
bajabeauty

Spare tire

Post by bajabeauty »

I can't wait to get my new one this summer...any of you know how long it takes to make a custom order....I'm hearing lots of different answers...I'll do the spare on the newbie suby, and can't wait to start sending pics I have lots of plans to soup it up, w/out changing the look. Anyone know stuff about bumping up HP for the baja, I hear dual exhaust could be hard...I need ideas from actual owners who thought about racing theres, changing breaks out, upgrading suspension...I'm not talented enough to do this all myself...I found a site that lets you try rims on the baja to see how it looks before you buy....tirerack.com...cool site
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

you don't necessarily have to 'custom order' your new baja. just go to a dealership, tell them what you want, give them your number and tell them if they want your business to give you a call. guaranteed before you walk out (at any good dealership) the salesperson will be on the phone or talking to the sales manager trying to find you what you want, mine came from another dealership like 230 miles away from me, the dealership close to me went and bought it from that dealership and delivered it to me. it took them about a week to find it, as inventory is constantly changing everywhere and turbo 5mt's are harder to come by in my area, but they did ok.
as far as more power, i might know a few people :twisted: ive went from stock (180 whp) to 260whp with bolt-ons and engine management. dual exhaust wont be easy, no one has done that to a baja. i have a 3" stainless steel exhaust from xcceleration.com, you should start there. you will not be disappointed. hope this helps, i've many more ideas so just give me a hollar if youve any q's... if you want, you could start a thread about it in the tech discussions forum... off to play pool at shorebreak, any one want to come? :wink:
370 awhp
bajabeauty

That site is awesome!!!

Post by bajabeauty »

You are so right!!!!that site is really cool. Perfect for my plans, I'll keep you updated on what I do.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

glad you like it! it is where i started in the search to make my baja faster, and i would recommend it to anyone! ive only bought the exhaust from these guys, but ive gotten many other ideas from them. definitely keep me updated, im sure i'll be jealous soon enough :wink:
370 awhp
Highlander
Scoobytruck Contributer

2 things

Post by Highlander »

-what "really cool" site?
-you mentioned getting an automatic... love my 5-spd Turbo! ONLY way to go for performance!!
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

the site was xcceleration
and as far as 5spd, i have one as well and wouldnt trade it for the world...unless im in stop and go traffic!
370 awhp
bajabeauty

Post by bajabeauty »

Yeah, I'm still not sure about the whole standard automatic thing....I haven't driven a standard in years and when I did...lets just say if you were near me you could tell I had a standard with my intermittend lurching of my car...I thought about a short shift...would that make it easier to shift? I'm a good driver otherwise, I just didn't master shifting and I still want performance...I get a lot of looks when I tell them of my souped up plans and yet I'll probably get an automatic...hey different strokes for different folks.
memphisjames
Scoobytruck Lurker

Get what you want

Post by memphisjames »

Just for reference, I insisted on a 5MT turbo last month. The dealer here was more than willing to locate one for me, and I still got a good deal. They brought one to me all the way from Atlanta.

-J
bajabeauty

Post by bajabeauty »

5MT? Is that the 5 speed manual turbo? How do you like it? How is the shifting quality?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Bajabeauty- As far as power, easiest thing to do is buy up stock STi parts. When people upgrade they let their stock parts go pretty cheap. THey all pretty much bolt on to the baja turbo. Things like the VF39 turbo, STI Intercooler and ECU will be easily adapted. Also the STI (Bosal) uppipe is a catless uppipe and only requires tapping a hole for the EGT sensor or eliminating it all together. then you could do what you wanted from the exhaust past that point depending on noise level and emissions laws in your state.
There are several brake options as well. You could upgrade to stainless braided lines and a better more aggressive pad to start.
If you wanted to go more serious the old STI/2006 WRX 4 pot front brakes can be fitted but you need a 16x7 inch wide wheel. The 2 pot rear brakes will need alittle more work to get them to work. Most other big brake kits for WRXs work too but if you go much larger than the subaru 4 pots you will need a 17inch wheel. You could also the Brembos off an sti but that requires sti wheels or wheels of equal dimensions and major changes to the rear.
Suspension... you could swap out springs, Ion made those lowering springs and H&R springs for the previous model outback have also been used.then there is also swaybar/endlink options as well as bushings and such. Tires and wheels will also make a HUGE inprovement on handling.

Automatic vs manual: I always buy manual But auto is worth considering for several very good reasons. The automatic trnasmission has a better AWD (VTD like the wrx auto and sti dccd when in auto)its more advanced than the 5MT viscous couple. Also you can brake torque the auto on lauch to raise boost, alot harder to do on a manual. And a very important one is that you do not lose boost on shifts like you do on a manual. On a manual trans, every time you lift off the throttle to shift, the boost is dumped out the bypass valve and you have to build it up again. With an auto you are constantly WOT on accel and boost never drops on shifts. So there are some performance areas where an auto trans wins out. THere are also drawbacks. And a bigger transmission cooler is somehting to definatly consider with the auto.
bajabeauty

Post by bajabeauty »

That is the first time I've heard someone speak honestly about the pros of the automatic... Bravo!I'll remember those pros next time I get frowned on for my automatic choice. Just for kicks I was looking at some really souped up cars that go completely automatic too. When I trade in this summer for the '06 turbo, I'm more set on Automatic than ever. As far as all those other great ideas I'm saving this thread....now I just need to find someone I can really trust to work on my car. Thats tricky...any ideas on how I could make a sound judgement. Especially since Subaru themselves may deny these sorts of modifications. I don't have enough talent or time to do these myself.