Moderator: cliffhanger

blubaja03
Scoobytruck Contributer

Subaru powered airplanes

Post by blubaja03 »

cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

That airplane is a Vans RV-7. John and I are building the Vans RV-9A in our basement. We may be putting one of the Subaru engine conversions in it when we're done....
of course, that'll be about 5 years from now.

You guys can watch our progress at: http://www.spikesplace.org/cgi-php/serendipity

You can check out our airplane builder forums at: http://www.rivetbangers.com

:D
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Wow... Building an airplane has to be quite the task. Being into Corvairs, I know there are Corvair-powered airplanes out there as well:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

jaxed wrote:Wow... Building an airplane has to be quite the task.
It's really slow going... drill some holes, deburr them all, dimple them all; move on to the next piece. But it's really awesome when you start seeing things that look like airplane parts. We're still working on the tail right now. We've got the horizontal and vertical stabilizers done. We're just waiting for a good stretch of nice weather so we can prime them for final assembly. (All of the parts are complete, we just can't assemble until they're all primed.)

We're working on the rudder right now. The elevators are next, and then we order the wing kit.
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

Here's the one we're building (not sure how we will paint it yet):

mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Thats neat Patti!! :D Hope the garage is big enough to fit a plane in!! I remember that Corvair engines powered airplanes, but I never saw a pic of a Subaru powered plane. Nice. Mike
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

mbaksic wrote:Thats neat Patti!! :D Hope the garage is big enough to fit a plane in!!
No garage here... we're building in our basement. Final assembly will be at the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) hangar at the Frederick airport. We keep our Cessna 172 out there. Hopefully once she's all done we'll either have come to the top of the waitlist for a second hangar, or will have a hangar secured at another airport. We don't want to keep our "baby" tied down outside in the elements.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Wow, a hanger is even better. I thought you were just doing the sub-assemblies in the basement, and then puttin it together in a garage. You will have to make a few trips to get all of the stuff to a hanger. Whenever you start assembly, let us now and post a few pics so we can see how it is going. Sounds like alot of hard work. Fun to be able to fly it when done, though. Mike
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

mbaksic wrote:Wow, a hanger is even better. I thought you were just doing the sub-assemblies in the basement, and then puttin it together in a garage. You will have to make a few trips to get all of the stuff to a hanger. Whenever you start assembly, let us now and post a few pics so we can see how it is going. Sounds like alot of hard work. Fun to be able to fly it when done, though. Mike
I just noticed that you're in Wisconsin. John's going out to Osh for Airventure again this year. There's an awesome steak restaurant out in Appleton that we like. One of those places where you pick and grill your own stuff. YUMMY!!
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I was just there last weekend. I took my dad and nephew. I hadn't been there in at least 10 years. Its a neat place, a good time was had by all. That steak place sounds good!! Mike
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

I'm not sure but the motor on this one looks to be a flat four

Bob
leeschaumberg
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by leeschaumberg »

mbaksic wrote:Thats neat Patti!! :D Hope the garage is big enough to fit a plane in!! I remember that Corvair engines powered airplanes, but I never saw a pic of a Subaru powered plane. Nice. Mike
Mike
There is an Eggenfellner (Subaru) powered aircraft just south and west of Neosho. After reading some of your posts it seems you work for a Subaru automobile dealer.
The airplane is a short take off and landing (STOL) single high wing.
I now live in Vilas county Wisconsin but have seen this airplane many times and talked to the owner and builder.
With an aircraft you don't get a second CHANCE. Usally when the pilot hits the ground he's dead.
By the way this is a 2.5L engine with a gear box.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

leeschaumberg wrote:
mbaksic wrote:Thats neat Patti!! :D Hope the garage is big enough to fit a plane in!! I remember that Corvair engines powered airplanes, but I never saw a pic of a Subaru powered plane. Nice. Mike
Mike
There is an Eggenfellner (Subaru) powered aircraft just south and west of Neosho. After reading some of your posts it seems you work for a Subaru automobile dealer.
The airplane is a short take off and landing (STOL) single high wing.
I now live in Vilas county Wisconsin but have seen this airplane many times and talked to the owner and builder.
With an aircraft you don't get a second CHANCE. Usally when the pilot hits the ground he's dead.
By the way this is a 2.5L engine with a gear box.

No, I don't work at a Suby dealer, I work on Dodges, just don't own one right now as they have nothing that I like to drive.

Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Subaru powered airplanes

Post by Hawk296 »

How did I miss this thread? Anyway.. These guys make aircraft engine kits from the WRX 2.0 and the old SVX EG33 http://www.crossflow.com/products/firew ... F4-20.html

I was actually not very impressed by Eggenfellner. They seem to be getting better though. Crossflow had a standalone ECU instead of OEM Denso, and that had a lot more redundancy built into.

I know CCR has built engines for a gyroplane manufacturer (EJ22).