Gentle sticker removal

Talk about anything here. ANYTHING.

Moderator: cliffhanger

KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Gentle sticker removal

Post by KensAudio »

Hey folks,

This isn't specific to the Baja, except that it's on my Baja that this issue exists.
I collect stickers on the back of my Baja showing all the places I've been (Mt. Washington, state parks, various white ovals with black letter abbreviations...). The one I got from Alaska has deteriorated so much that it's no longer identifiable, and I really just want to take it off and re-use the space for a newer sticker.

What magical chemical concoctions are preferred by this group for such gentle sticker removal? Obviously I want to leave the paint underneath intact.

Thoughts? thanks.
- K
Baja '03 Blk, non-turbo, M/T, OzzBros, Bed Extender, JVC, ScanGaugeII, Garmin
"Well, ya see, son, when a dune buggy, a jeep and a sedan really love each other..."
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Gentle sticker removal

Post by canuck37 »

KensAudio wrote:Hey folks,

This isn't specific to the Baja, except that it's on my Baja that this issue exists.
I collect stickers on the back of my Baja showing all the places I've been (Mt. Washington, state parks, various white ovals with black letter abbreviations...). The one I got from Alaska has deteriorated so much that it's no longer identifiable, and I really just want to take it off and re-use the space for a newer sticker.

What magical chemical concoctions are preferred by this group for such gentle sticker removal? Obviously I want to leave the paint underneath intact.

Thoughts? thanks.
- K

Use a heat gun on LOW and be GENTLE - or a hair dryer, same thing. Less likely to damage. Be prepared for paint fade issues where the sticker was.......my $0.02 is never put bumper stickers or the like on any painted surface unless you are prepared for the damage they cause or to leave them there forever. Good luck...........
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

Goo gone works well for me. Just be patient and let it soak in. A plastic spatula or something else soft like that (even a credit card) helps to scrape it off if it is really stuck on there.
abigaillozano
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by abigaillozano »

Hi there! When I removed my stickers and window graphics, I just used some warm water plus a scraper. You don't have to push too hard for it to come off because if you do, you can scrape off the paint and tint! That's what happened to me as I took one of the stickers off of a window, the tint followed it so now I have a gash where the tint was! :(