wanted: camper shell / OR WHAT OTHER IDEAS for sleeping?

Marketplace for Subaru Baja & Brat related things. Vehicles, accessories, eBay auctions...

Moderators: mikenmel08, 03ClassicYellow

HOMES
Scoobytruck Lurker

wanted: camper shell / OR WHAT OTHER IDEAS for sleeping?

Post by HOMES »

Hi all,
New here. I'm in Minnesota, just bought a great condition '05 silver turbo Baja. Exciting, obviously!

I knew a camper shell might be impossible to get--but if anyone has a lead anywhere in MN, WI, Dakotas, IA, IL, etc., please message me.

Or perhaps more interesting for folks--what are other options if I want to sleep in this thing during a big trip I'm planning circling the Great Lakes?

I'm not handy enough to full-on build a cover. But maybe someone/someplace out there has this on offer?

Maybe some tents actually fit perfectly? But if it rains, is the bed drainage poor enough that the tent floor would soak?

Anyone just sleep through the hatch into the bed with a basic cover/lid on? Uncomfortable?

Etc... Might post this in discussion forum too. Sorry for newbie clumsiness!
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Re: wanted: camper shell / OR WHAT OTHER IDEAS for sleeping?

Post by greymud »

See my other post for tent idea.

When I bought mine, it had a snuglid. I slept in the bed with the tailgate down and my feet through the passthrough. it was not a good night.
05 NA 5MT
gvrossie
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by gvrossie »

I use my 2005 Turbo to pull my T@B tear-drop camper. Works great! But I too would like to find a camper shell. Willing to travel most anywhere to retrieve. Please let me know if any extras turn up!
HOMES
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by HOMES »

Pulling a little camper is tempting--definitely the classy option! Just not as versatile as I think I need. But it's not like miraculously finding a camper shell will solve the sleeping challenge--bed's still gonna be short, that's just the Baja I signed up for...

Using a bed extender could still be too short, and anyway vulnerable to the elements as you'd be beyond a shell. Guess that's why I started thinking about custom tops versus those ARE/etc. shells. Or a bed tent/pop-up kind of situation...

Which, @greymud, appreciated your link to someone's build, that's quit something. Imagining your cramped night with gate open and legs in passthrough--nuff said, not ideal!