2003 Silver Baja

Marketplace for Subaru Baja & Brat related things. Vehicles, accessories, eBay auctions...

Moderators: mikenmel08, 03ClassicYellow

LaurieStu
Scoobytruck Lurker

2003 Silver Baja

Post by LaurieStu »

If I trade my Subaru Baja to a dealer, is KBB value pretty accurate on what I get? Has anyone had any recent experience with this? My Baja is average, has 109,000 miles, leather (rip on driver seat). Recently had timing belt kit replaced, a little bit of vibrating when I sit at a stoplight. I'm in Florida. I hate to sell to a individual because if the car gives any trouble, I would feel bad but also would need to do it "as is".
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: 2003 Silver Baja

Post by Guacamole »

Possibly, my local Subaru dealer offered me $4,000 for my 06 with 150k miles (after I just bought it from another dealer 2 months before :x ). Just remember; they'll low-ball you, put some quick required maintenance on the car, then sell it to someone for double/triple the price because Bajas are quick & easy profit nowadays, & every dealer that has a brain wants one for that reason. Since yours has relatively low mileage, & if the car has a clean history, the dealer will probably want to sell it to someone else for ~$10,000. If you want the most money out of it, do a private sale "as is". So long as you don't have any serious problems (ie, head gasket failure symptoms, multiple serious collisions on history, leaking fluids, etc) someone will buy. Heck maybe even put it up for auction? Had one 03 Classic Baja here in MD with 76k mileage, no title, water damage, oil leaks, dead battery, serious tailgate damage, & had been sitting for 8 months go for $6,200 at auction.
RedStage
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RedStage »

Even if you consider your car in good or excellent condition, trade-in value is ALWAYS based off of FAIR condition by dealerships. AKA - Low Balling you.

If you trade in, there will be some tax benefits...but depending on how much you can sell for privately that may or may not be of any concern.

I was offered $2500 for my 03 with under 120k on the odometer, clean exterior, very good leather, carpets a bit stained....all maintenance up to date....
LaurieStu
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by LaurieStu »

Thanks for feedback. I don't put much trust in car salesmen, so that's why I asked, but hated to have a bunch of strangers contact me on Craigslist. Anyway, I guess I could post some pics on this site and see if anyone is in Florida and interested.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

You'll always make more cutting out the middle man and selling it yourself. If it's any concern, have them sign a paper saying they are buying it as-is and you sign saying you have told every known problem with the car. Then move to mexico if something goes wrong...just kidding.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Don't sweat it: that's how all private party sales are. It happens millions of times a day. Just write up a bill-of-sale (many states provide a template, some require it) to the effect of "I _____ sell my [year make model vin] to _______ as-is. blah-dy-blah-dy-blah signed X______ X_______"

The only obligation you have as a seller is to not misrepresent the vehicle as something it isn't. It's up to the seller to make sure the vehicle is what they want and in a condition they accept.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
RedStage
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RedStage »

LaurieStu,

I also have an 03, seem to have that same issue with vibration while sitting at a light.
I think it is a vacuum leak as I changed a few things recently and the vibration was lessened when I replaced a few cracked hoses.

Also in Florida. How much are you looking to get for the Baja? I may know someone that keeps driving me nuts about mine...