Vibration at 65 to 75 MPH

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Vibration at 65 to 75 MPH

Post by RickBaja06 »

My 2006 baja turbo just started to suffer from a vibration that you can feel on the floor boards and the seat of your pants. Steering vibration is minimal.

While driving only at 65 to 75 MPH I get a vibration, any speed lower then 65 or higher than 75 the vibration is gone.

I am thinking it may be related to wheel balance as a first place to start, the problem is that the vibration is isolated to that speed range. One would think that the vibration would get worse at higher speeds. Another interesting thing is that the vibration gets worse as the road temperture increases.

I have checked all wheels for torque and out of round condition or any signs of unsual tire wear and nothing is out of spec.

I need some help with this one as it is starting to drive me crazy.

Thanks
Rick
deformeddavo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by deformeddavo »

I've had this happen twice, to two entirely different vehicles. Same symptoms as you describe (same speed range as well). In both cases the issue was the tires. Replacing them fixed the problem. It's possible (and not all that uncommon) that one of your tires has an issue that isn't visible.

Definately could be a wheel (or tire) balance issue as well.

Heh... the first time I had this issue was on my 87 Nissan Stanza. I couldn't figure it out. Until one day I happened to look at my rear tire while pumping gas, and noticed the tread peeling back.

D'oh!
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Rick,
You may have a belt in the tire starting to slip around at higher speeds. You may be able to see it on a tire balancing machine. If you rotated the tires to the front, you should feel it in the steering wheel. But since you only feel it in the floor and seat, it is a sure sign of something haywire in the rear of the Baja.
Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RickBaja06 »

Problem solved, The aftermarket china made drilled and slotted rotors were junk. They were out of balance right out of the box.

After replacing them with better quality EBC slotted and dimpled rotors the problem went away.